res4.0.0 deck problems (AGAIN!!!!!)

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
VJsynC
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

res4.0.0 deck problems (AGAIN!!!!!)

Post by VJsynC »

Hello, just downloaded the new version and while i was trying out the new version, to see if was any better then the ridiculous version3, I finded out that actually is much much better, althought have to mention a strange behavior:

Created new composition > loaded a few clips in 2 different decks, renamed them.
Then: saved composition (so far, so good) now...

closed the 2 decks created, and again, saved them, and then... kaput.... the decks simply disappeared!!!! strangely, i created other decks with other names closed them, saved composition and they are still there! if could it be of any help both of the disappeared decks start with the letter "A".

Another issue, the deck list sorted by alphabetical order seems to work just fine, but... againg, strangely some decks starting with the same letter appear in between another decks starting with oder letter.

Using MAC OSX Lion - Resolume version 4.0.0 rev4565

Regards,
VJ Sync.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: res4.0.0 deck problems (AGAIN!!!!!)

Post by Joris »

closed the 2 decks created, and again, saved them, and then... kaput.... the decks simply disappeared!!!! strangely, i created other decks with other names closed them, saved composition and they are still there! if could it be of any help both of the disappeared decks start with the letter "A".
Good guess, but it seems to be related to if there is another deck still open or not. If you save the comp without any open decks, it corrupts the comp file and weird things happen. In any case, this shouldn't happen, and we'll get right on it.
Another issue, the deck list sorted by alphabetical order seems to work just fine, but... againg, strangely some decks starting with the same letter appear in between another decks starting with oder letter.
There's no sorting for the decks, aside from open or closed state (closed decks are at the bottom). Sorting options are something we still want to do if we get round to it at a later stage. In the meantime, you can search for your deck by typing the name if the browser window is in focus.

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

The decks are now listed in the composition list the same way as they are ordered in the decktabs when loaded. So the first deck will be in tab 1 the second in 2. Sorting them alphabetically would not make sense. As Joris pointed out we will work on being able to change the order of the decks by for instance being able to drag and drop the decktabs.

VJsynC

Post by VJsynC »

Ok then, good to know that is a bug that you guys already are were about. thanks for the reply.

Now, dear Edwin, if you ask to anyone here that has many many folders and each folder practically representing a "Deck" (like me) you will see that most of the people want their deck listed at least with some good and real criteria of deck sorting, most of them in Alphabetical order, why?... 2 words "Key Triggering", cause in a live environment we always want the most fastest way to access our content, for instance if i wanna go to a deck that starts with letter Z i want to just press the "z" key on the deck list under composition list and go automatically to all the decks starting with z letter, like used to do in Resolume 2.41.
It's a question of practicality and fast access to our content, for me if a have to write a name of the deck in some kind of search bar, that is a enormous waist of time, 10 seconds for me, as for many many people to just write in a search bar and click it's a waist of time, its too long.

i mean, i don't know, and this is really and honestly an innocent question but, is that really hard to just put the list in a alphabetical order? and in later versions work the deck order and management in better ways ? really guys would that be a huge amount of time waist for you?

Regards,
Sync.

VJair
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by VJair »

you can already switch decks using either midi or keystrokes

VJsynC

Post by VJsynC »

VJair wrote:you can already switch decks using either midi or keystrokes
Hello Vjair,
yes, but that won't solve the question of the decks being sorted aplhabetically cause imagine the situation: you have about 10 decks starting with the same letter, and they'r all over the place instead of all being together:
example:

This is how it should be:
Abstract1
Abstract2
Bpmsync1
Bpmsync2
Bpmsync3
Club1
Club2
Club3

But right now this is what happens:
Bpmsync3
Abstract1
Bpmsync1
Club2
Bpmsync2
Abstract2
Club1
Club3

Shorties
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Shorties »

VJair wrote:you can already switch decks using either midi or keystrokes
Is there any way to switch to the "Next" deck via midi as opposed to a specific deck?

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

I agree with the fact that we should make the deck switching easier and find ways to access decks quicker. But sorting them in one way in the list and different when in the deck tabs does not sound like a proper plan.
The decks are sorted in a chronological order, so the order you created them is important. As we know users use the decks to determine different stages of a show.
But we'll investigate some more to come up with a more hands one approach.