TH2GO with LED

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
dirtyjohn_lv
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

TH2GO with LED

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

Anyone have any problems with TH2GO (digital) communicating directly with an LED sending card?
I have no clue what the sending card is, or the wall for that matter (it's literally all Chinese).

Running Macbook Pro8,2 2.3GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM
I can:

Use MiniDP->DVI directly into the LED card no problem.
Normal OS X resolutions work fine.
Using SwitchResX I can successfully output 1280x720@60 and 512x288@60 (latter is actual pixel resolution of LED wall)
I can route laptop output through any number of signal processors/scan converters (Barco/Folsom, Extron, Sony, Matrox) and back out to LED card with no problems (except the useless processor that came with the wall that doesn't work - Chinese).

Using only 1 output of the TH2GO as a simple test using 1280x720@60:
I've used about every combination of cable with the box (MiniDP->DVI/VGA, DVI-D/I/A cables/adapters->VGA)
The LED card will not read any signal I send to it, while any signal processor will read whatever I send to it. I can also hook up multiple monitors/projectors with no issues.

Is it a simple fact the card is Chinese and doesn't want to talk or maybe the TH2GO is discarding part of the signal the card is looking for? Or maybe the fact the TH2GO is USB powered?

VJair
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: TH2GO with LED

Post by VJair »

could be DCPI kicking in as you are using the mini dp version ( have heard of others with this and similar probs ) can you turn the signal into analogue after the thtg and before the capture card?

dirtyjohn_lv

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

I've done MiniDP->VGA out of Mac, into TH, the DVI-I and DVI-A cables out which should transmit everything via analog. It does when sending to some kind of monitor or signal processor, but the second I go direct to the LED, it doesn't catch the signal.

I think maybe there's some translation lost in the TH that is required to read the signal or is changing the signal somehow that signal processors do differently? Maybe it's sending the wrong colorspace required (can't remember what it sends off the top of my head). YPbPr instead of RGB?

dRead
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by dRead »

I had a similar problem a couple weeks ago, DVI direct out of my MBP to a Visualed controller no problem but when I went through a TH2G Digital it wouldn't recognize the signal, there were two led wall systems being used and the other one had no problem (can't remember the make of the other controller right now). Unfortunately there wasn't time to grab a scanner so I just used a second laptop for the other wall. My reccomendation is that there is always a decent scan/scaler provided with all wall systems, never had a problem that way.

dirtyjohn_lv

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

The problem could be the pixel color mode the sending card is on (or receiver). I noticed today, there 4 modes, single color, double color, true color and some other that I cant remember.
Sending card model: SD801d (for a 7.6mm wall)

Never enough time to play around to figure it out.

My problem is I had 24 panels show up with a VDWALL video processor (LVP603s) that does not work at all. It powers on, but the HDMI just blinks. Can't change inputs with any button combination. Used the reset button on the board inside the processor with no luck.
Club owner asked me how much it would cost to buy the equipment we've been renting (Image Pro HDs) and he balked at the price. :/ Back to square one.

You're supposed to be able to chain the cards together with an ethernet cable to make bigger walls, but even that's not working. LED Studio (software using to configure the walls) has the option to extend the wall grayed out

I'm so used to working with broadcast equipment, this cheap Chinese gear is turning me into a mad man. I'm leaning towards suggesting Extron as replacement - mainly because of price, still "expensive" but not as much as Barco/Folsom or Roland/Edirol.

rrebuffo
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by rrebuffo »

LED sender cards are DVI-D only. You are trying to receive digital video from the analog output mode of the DVI-I connector (you are using VGA as input in the TH2GO). Once you switch to digital it will start working instantly. Obviously you can't attach any DVI-I cables to a DVI-D input physically, but if you are using the DVI-D cable supplied with the sender, actually you can attach it to the TH2GO, but nothing will happen.

dRead
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by dRead »

I was using the TH2Go Digital/Analogue, and tried using VGA->VGA as well as DVI->DVI. I think it was the wall controller as there were two different ones and it was the VisualLED one that wouldn't recognize the signal post TH2Go. I still always ask for an ImagePro or the like just to be sure.

VJYosh
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by VJYosh »

I have much experience with it and it just doesn't work, probably because of the analog signal. you should always go through separate image processors for each TH channel in order to make the signal digital again.

dirtyjohn_lv

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

I think I have narrowed the problem down to the TH2GO with DVI output. It seems the digital gets stripped away and sent as analog. When using the box with DP I can connect directly to an LED transmit card.
I blame Matrox now, it took 4 returns before I could get a working TH2GO DP. He first 3 would always start to glitch and drop signal after 10 minutes of use

arindamliveguitar
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by arindamliveguitar »

I myself use TH2GO digital edition with my LED setup. The 3 outs of TH2GO go into 3 LED video processor's inputs . When i use DVI to HDMI cables, the 3rd out of the TH2GO always gives problems. The 3rd out never shows any output :?
However if i switch to all VGA cables from the 3 outs into my 3 LED video processors, it works absolutely fine without any hassles..