Getting Creative with Xbox Kinect

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
Visual Division
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Getting Creative with Xbox Kinect

Post by Visual Division »

Does anyone have any new examples of installations or performances using the Microsoft Xbox Kinect and Resolume? I've seen a few videos kicking about but nothing that's used it in a real performance scenario.

Here's what's we've done with it so far:
Video and Tutorial with Xbox Kinect - http://www.visualdivision.co.uk/xbox-ki ... e-avenue-3

Shorties
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: Getting Creative with Xbox Kinect

Post by Shorties »

I don't think this was done with resolume, but I am pretty sure Skrillex's "Cell" Visualization setup utilizes a hacked Kinect. In case you just want to see what is possible with such technology in a performance environment:

Timesquid

Post by Timesquid »

Hiya'

Yo Visual Division... so About the kinect... Im in an internal battle between wether or not to devote my brain and life into learning Touch Designer, and switching to PC... but on the otherhand would maybe perhaps like to just stick with resolume and keep things closer to home... syphon and quartz rule' but let me ask you this... can you instead of using syphon just throw your quartz patch into resolume as a layer?

fruitygreen
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Kinect 3d Puppeteering

Post by fruitygreen »

Kinect 3d Puppeteering
You could use the following apps from here.

http://www.reallusion.com/iclone/default.aspx
and

http://www.openspace3d.com/

and

http://technabob.com/blog/2010/12/19/mi ... -cap-hack/.

1st-I tried mikumikudance via kinect>osceleton>mikumikudance>virtual webcam>Resolume
Free and Works , but too much steps to bring your 3d models in, and other stuff made it clunky.

2nd- I tried Openspace 3d.
Better support , less steps and importing 3d models were easier but still cumbersome, and free. Last time I used it , blender support were still being developed. Haven't revisited this app lately.

3d- Iclone5
It has very good support, importing with major 3d apps are feasible, but it is not free and is based on DirectX so no MAC.

There are lots of support for these apps, however like most apps they lack organization when it comes to getting a newbie started. All the info to get started is there, but like usual forums the commenting always stray from the intended topic therefore most questions are not clearly answered.

Anways the outputs of these apps poses a challenge for most who wants to get them into there VJ app.

Let me know if you need help with any of these apps.
I don't have any samples of my own work because its usually borrowed ideas and incomplete. But I did make it work just for proof of concepts.

FYI: MSAFluid by Memo Akten has done some cool particles in processing, in which you can use via Kinect like yours. Search for it.

Mayaand
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Mayaand »

Any news on this, would love to combine kinect with resolume in some way :)

massta

Post by massta »

Bumping this up, it's been a year.

Would really like to know more about importing a layer into Resolume with a Kinect.
I was thinking inferred camera readings could at least get me some visual representation.

fruitygreen

Google is your friend. Bing too.

Post by fruitygreen »

Keyword(s): Kinect + Syphon

or easier: http://z-vector.com/ ;)

massta

Post by massta »

Ah, cool.

Z Vector looks really good. I wonder how much it will be after beta. I like that it works with both Win and Mac.

Was also going to look at:

Synapse
Kinect A
OSCeleton

fruitygreen

Post by fruitygreen »

massta wrote: Z Vector looks really good. I wonder how much it will be after beta. I like that it works with both Win and Mac.
Dunno yet, but it has features in it that I really desire . Price may not be purchase factor.
massta wrote: Was also going to look at:
Synapse
Kinect A
OSCeleton
Well same guys who makes Z Vector makes also NI-Mate. It kinda does all of what Synapse and Osceleton does, but with a better workflow and plugin into Blender to make your Kinect animated 3d puppet.

kafidov

Re: Google is your friend. Bing too.

Post by kafidov »

z-vector sure very interesting software and has many settings. very cool (although still it has very very slow beta and needs modern hi-end videocards:(). but i want to see real 3d character on screen behind dj's.
iclone solves all problems, but doesn't fullscreen motion capture, you can see avatar only with interface.
that is how it is now. those who have news about similar software please write here. thanks.