[resolved] Clips not playing back at correct speed?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: [resolved] Clips not playing back at correct speed?

Post by Joris »

This is most likely a clip that was reconnected at some point before 4.1.2. What happens when you import it again?

pdubost
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by pdubost »

Hmm it s a new composition. So I imported the clip just for this comp.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Can you send a screenshot of your interface and the clip (mail@resolume.com)?

pdubost

Post by pdubost »

Thanks so much for the help by mail.

The solution is the following:
Increase the Audio Buffer in the Settings
goto10 wrote:Hmm it s a new composition. So I imported the clip just for this comp.]Hi Philippe

Could you try changing your buffer size in the audio tab of the preferences?
goto10 wrote:Good to hear that worked for you.

It's sort of a strange bug, it shouldn't really affect clip speed, but somehow it does. It only affects a handful of users, so we haven't really looked into it too deep.

Scratchpole
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Scratchpole »

I'm getting similar clip playback speed issues using 4.1.2
Only tested in 10.5, will test in 10.6 sometime soon.
Changing clips from bpm to timeline mode and they play very slow even though the clip speed is set to 1. and global speed is set to 1.
Same with a new composition. Only seems to affect some clips.

pdubost

Post by pdubost »

Did you try to increase your Audio Buffer in the Settings ?

Scratchpole

Post by Scratchpole »

Yes I did try to increase audio buffer size, it didn't change anything.
Seems like a very strange fix for the problems 'we' are facing.

Re-importing the clips does sort it out! The clips must have been reconnected at some point before 4.1.2.

All the same this seems to me like quite a big issue!
I see that Deepvisual is having similar problems when switching from timecode to BPM, is this all related?

Joris

Post by Joris »

The other thread your refer to is about switching between clips and SMPTE playback, it's not related to switching playback modes on a single clip and playback speed.

If you can confirm that your issue is solved by the suggestion earlier in this thread, I will close the ticket.

Scratchpole

Post by Scratchpole »

Hi,
Although your suggestion of reimporting clips does work I'm not fully satisfied.
I have to go through all the clips in all my decks when really it should just work, no?

What did you guys change to create this issue?
What is the problem?
Does the audio buffer size have anything to do with any of this?

FYI, I opened up 4.1.1 and had the same issues with the same clips :/

Joris

Post by Joris »

Thanks for coming back to answer this.

The issue for the particular bug that you are experiencing is that somehow the clip reconnect feature was buggy in version 4.1.1. Reconnecting clips would result in the in and out points no longer being set correctly and the playback framerate being slower than was indicated. This would only happen for some clips. Others would remain unaffected.

We considered this an extremely high priority issue, and it was fixed within a day of us hearing about it. This fix was included in version 4.1.2, so reconnecting the clips works again.

However, clips that were reconnected on 4.1.1 will show the incorrect behaviour on any version, because these incorrect settings were saved into the reconnected composition. Unfortunately, the only way to solve this is to load the clip again or to replace it (by dragging the source file over the video tab of the clip tab), and then saving the composition.

We do not know what could have caused this bug to occur (if we did, it most likely wouldn't have happened in the first place). This particular bug is clearly limited to the clip reconnect feature, and certainly unrelated to buffer size. As your questions show, it can be very confusing if bugs get lumped together in one thread. This is why we discourage people to speculate over whether or not they are related. We hope that you understand that we look at every report, and if there are issues which can potentially interfere with Resolume functioning correctly, we take immediate action.

We're very sorry that you are experiencing inconvenience because of all this, but at this moment, the only way to solve is to take the time to look over any comps you may have reconnected on 4.1.1.

I hope that explains the issue. If you have additional questions or are not yet satisfied, feel free to ask.