Smpte sync issues

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Roger39
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Smpte sync issues

Post by Roger39 »

Hopefully somebody can help me. I have one Pc running 4 audio tracks (for surround type effects) and a smpte track with another machine running Resolume Arena. Resolume picks up the Smpte no problem but the video clip jumps backwards and forwards every few seconds as if it's trying to stay in sync. What can I do to get it to play back smoothly...my show is on Thursday and I need to get it sorted :(

4youreye
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: Smpte sync issues

Post by 4youreye »

do you have the same settings of the TC on both systems?
what is the source of your TC? it sounds like the TC is not a goot qulity.
does Arena show a stable running TC in the composition tab?

deepvisual
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by deepvisual »

ok I have the same problem.

I'm running 3 identical clips with timecode burnt in.
everything runs fine, until I switch to a different column. if I go to a different clip also controlled by SMPTE everything is fine, but a regular BPM clip freaks the SMPTE clock out.
at that point, the way resolume reads timecode gets frazzled.
the SMTPE clock can no longer read the LTC correctly and the clips chase the erratic values of the SMPTE clock
the only solution is to then quit and restart.

my timecode is good, my clips are good. everything is fine until I select a bpm sync'd clip..

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Hmmm. Thanks for the hints on the BPM synced clip.

I've seen it happen on occasion now during testing, but can't seem to find a way to recreate it 100% of the time. Is it an intermittent for you also, or do you have a surefire way of making it glitch?

deepvisual

Post by deepvisual »

its not 100% every time, but more often than not...

G

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

So what are your steps? What layers are you triggering which clips in? What fps are you using for the clips and the SMPTE?

deepvisual

Post by deepvisual »

ok 3 layers - mainly because the last show I did ran 3 sync'd clips to 3 screens in Qlab.
I have two lots of 25fps footage all using the same timecode value to trigger.
I play EBU out of my iphone into the mac.. clips are set to trigger at one hour.
one set is 3 burnt in timecode clips with AIC codec I was using to test the sync for delay.
I also tried a single DVX codec clip, that I added to all 3 layers.. to see if the codec was the issue.
I can switch between these fine and they chase the timecode.
but once I switch to a BMP sync'd clip it goes wrong.T3_B that is one of the demo clips usually does the trick..
it looks like there is a conflict between the BMP and the SMPTE clocks..

Joris

Post by Joris »

So this is how I'm trying to recreate this:
1. Play 3 SMPTE clips, each in their own layer.
2. In layer 3, trigger a BPM synced AV clip.
3. Watch the SMPTE playhead of the remaining SMPTE clips for jumps.

Does that match what you are doing? Could you try lowering your audio buffer to see if that helps any?

deepvisual

Post by deepvisual »

I lowered it to 128 and it made things much much worse.
it was set on 512, I've now raised it to 1024 which seems to have solved the issue, or at least improved it significantly.. hmm better make that improved, its still a problem. but now I have to go through a few av clips to get it to happen.
also, if i have only two clips running the problem goes, only to come back when I add the 3rd and of course now the buffer cant go any bigger.
Last edited by deepvisual on Thu Oct 25, 2012 15:04, edited 1 time in total.

Joris

Post by Joris »

At the moment I'm running 15 SMPTE clips simultaneously at a buffer of 1024, but I cannot get the playhead to jump no matter what.

At least we can recreate it at a low buffer size, and if we fix it for that, it will most likely be fixed for you as well. Ticket has been made.