jpgs locking up arena 4.1.2

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
yugpmoc
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

jpgs locking up arena 4.1.2

Post by yugpmoc »

Just did a show that consisted of lots of jpgs delivered more or less realtime to me for display. They would walk up with a card or a stick, from various camera brands and models, I dumped them into a folder, loaded them in a layer and away we went. For about 4 hours. I had regular output freezes, as in 25 or 30 of them. Avenu kept on going like nothing was wrong (I had autopilot on, and was bumping duration up to 15 seconds each on the pics) but the output would freeze. I could still save and restart, and my changes post freeze would be there. There was no pattern to the freezes, no particular files or brands or cameras that caused them. This was my stable system running 4.1.1 4.1.2 on my laptop does the same thing. I haven't tried any of the 3. versions.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: jpgs locking up arena 4.1.2

Post by Joris »

Can you take a look at your memory usage?

If you are loading so much content, it is quite likely that Resolume runs out of memory.

yugpmoc

Post by yugpmoc »

I shall try to recreate tonight.

Warspite

Post by Warspite »

Encoutered absolutely the same problem.
I was afraid that videocard on my laptop was source of trouble. After event i thoroughly tested hardware and found no problem. Then remebered this topic. It's great to have forum!
Will avoid jpg+autopilot in future, will prepare .mov in AE.

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

We would like figure out what happens, whether the file loading fails or that CPU or GPU memory runs out.
Can you tell us the resolution of your images and how many you had loaded at once in a deck?
Pictures are loaded in RAM when load them in a clip, it adds up quickly when you use hi-res images.

Stickygreen

Post by Stickygreen »

I'd say it's time for the resolume guys to start taking some pictures around the office.

Post em up to the forum, lets see what HQ looks like.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

If we show you ours, will you show us yours?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9288&hilit=mac+fanboys#p35148

Warspite

Post by Warspite »

edwin wrote:We would like figure out what happens, whether the file loading fails or that CPU or GPU memory runs out.
Can you tell us the resolution of your images and how many you had loaded at once in a deck?
Pictures are loaded in RAM when load them in a clip, it adds up quickly when you use hi-res images.
Everything looked like hardware failure. Resolume seems running fine, you can clear cell, trigger another cell, run another layer. But composition output was locked (both on external output and in preview window). And after a couple of minutes running with locked output resolume hangs.
There was 95 jpegs on middle layer with autoplay. Initially in all possible resolution and color modes, before event i resized everything to 1600 pix long side, RGB, compression 10 or 12 in Photoshop. Plus 30 movs (SD resolution, H264, 85%quality).
Plus one white jpeg on lower layer. Plus 3 movs on top layer. Hangs only when autoplay enabled on middle layer.
Hardware config: i5, 4GB Ram, Nvidia Quadro 3100m 512 Mb.

Joris

Post by Joris »

Thanks for the info!

Assuming a 1600x900 resolution, 95 jpgs amount to about 400MB of memory gone just by loading them in. Add on top of that using H264 videos (which is probably the worst approach you can take for performance and memory usage), I'm actually surprised that Resolume continued to run after this...

Warspite

Post by Warspite »

Yes, we are amazed by Resolume features and then we face limitations. It's normal.
Now we know that jpeg-s are loaded to ram and that there are limits. Is it system RAM or VideoRAM?

p.s. And I prefered H264 for video because it supports "keyframe every frame" and for same quality has significantly smaller size than photojpegs or DXV. I had to prefere this because HDD performance is the main bottleneck in my job (while ssd-s are limited in capacity, now run 1+1TB HDDs in laptop). No problem so far with mov h264 - runs great.