first post - macbook air

Bro, does your rig even lift?
faderc
Is taking Resolume on a second date

first post - macbook air

Post by faderc »

Howdy, purchased Resolume yesterday after playing with the demo for some time. Love it!

Anyway...currently using a mid 2012 macbook pro, but im looking to move to a macbook air as a touring machine for handling visuals.

This what we are doing...

Layer 1: multiple instances of a logitech usb webcam in one layer, each instance with different effects, and autopilot switching between them randomly every minute or 2.

Layer 2: has a bleeplabs hss3jb input via an easycap usb capture dongle and camtwist.

The visuals set up runs itself while we do a bunch of stuff with noise toys.

Sooo, the question is, I'd like to move to a recent model macbook air 13", is anyone else using one? successful?
The intel 4000 graphics card isnt recommended, but I could find anywhere what the actual issues are...and its the same card that is in the macbook pro im on...

Thanks!
Craig
HUF
example...
researchintospeed. arena 7 something. hardware synths and drum machines #emotionaltechno

Basic
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: first post - macbook air

Post by Basic »

I'm not sure, I'm guessing it just wont be powerful enough.

What's wrong with your MBP? that's what I travel and gig with and its fine. Plus if I need to do additional work I can and i'm not restricted to a small screen.
Resolume Avenue 3.3.3 - MBP i7, 8gb RAM - Snow Leopard (2010). Akai APC20

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

The MacBook Air has an integrated Intel GPU. We recommend against using these because we cannot guarantee that Resolume will run correctly on it.

The problem will the Intel GPUS is not so much the power, it's that the openGL version that they support is not compatible with every feature of Resolume. For certain functions (such as the advanced output and the chroma key effect), Resolume needs certain extensions which are not supported by these cards/drivers.

This is complicated even further by the fact that on certain OS releases, things will work for a while, but they will break once Microsoft/Apple update their videocard driver.

So all in all these are the technical reasons we recommend against using these graphic cards.

In regards to the MacBook Air itself: these things are meant for web browsing and checking emails, don't use them for handling realtime visuals.

Basic

Post by Basic »

Now that is what I tried to say :) ^^^^

faderc

Post by faderc »

Thanks for the answers, much appreciated!

Why? cos we already have 72 kilos of gear to hump around and anywhere i can save on weight and space is awesome to me!

However, point taken and we will have to get famous so we dont have to carry our own stuff :)

Cheers

Craig
HUF
researchintospeed. arena 7 something. hardware synths and drum machines #emotionaltechno

Basic

Post by Basic »

Why? cos we already have 72 kilos of gear to hump around and anywhere i can save on weight and space is awesome to me!
Fair point :D you must have shoulders of steel by now! :D

Stickygreen
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Stickygreen »

faderc wrote: we will have to get famous so we dont have to carry our own stuff :)

good idea.

Basic

Post by Basic »

maybes try and retina. it might be lighter and im sure it packs a little more punch when it comes to output.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

it packs a little more punch
More than a little ;-)

faderc

Post by faderc »

That power/screen comes at $$ that are well above what we can do for now...
Fair point :D you must have shoulders of steel by now! :D
Magna Cart is the answer, least we become even more deformed than we already are ;)

Touring Japan in July, so some debate about what to do... :?

Thanks
Craig