Oh no Im a Noob..Help

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
TheNutter
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Oh no Im a Noob..Help

Post by TheNutter »

Firstly, just want to say hello to all.

Secondly, I am completely new to the VJ world.
I have been tasked by a client to map a car for an event they are having and I am finding certain things rather tricky, so hopefully I can get some advice from the pros.

My first issue is simple enough I guess but beating my head so many times has damaged the logic in me....What would be an efficient way to align the projector and car into the scene?
I have taken a picture of the vehicle in the perspective of the projector but once designs are complete the alignment is out of sync...I have tried to read up on this but no luck really (logic cells are fried).

My other issue is that the graphics I create is pixelated when projected...could this be down to the codec?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

pfelberg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Oh no Im a Noob..Help

Post by pfelberg »

Well, I never mapped a car before ; )
Let´s start from the end.. pixelating: check projector resolution and pixel aspect (4:3 or 16:9); also, what is your composition size in pixels and what is your footage resolution? Yes, a bad encoding can also produce artifacts and pixelizing, but you would also notice that out of projection.

Alignment out of sync: that´s all about mapping. There´s no magic on it. No matter how precise is your setup you will allways have to move a couple of points to make your projection to fit properly.
Specificaly mapping a car, you must realize that a car is 'almost' an 'organic' object, I mean, they are smooth, full of curves and angles. The best (utopic) way to map a car is to create your video footage based on a precise 3D model of it. I mean you have the 3D model of the car, then you surface it, animating the effects the way you want, position your virtual camera at the same position (in the 3D space) as your real camera is positioned in real world, and render!!!
Last edited by pfelberg on Sat Mar 23, 2013 13:50, edited 1 time in total.

vj granda
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by vj granda »

You are completely new to the vj world, and you want to create the content and mapp a car??? It's a joke, Isn't it??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

TheNutter
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by TheNutter »

Thanks pfelberg for the feedback. I managed to get a decent workflow that suits my needs.

vj granda...when I say new to the VJ world I mean I am new to using software such as Resolume, AE etc and make it work with a live audience and live music.
Certainly not new to creation of content.

In the end though, I made it work rather well I think and will be displaying it at an event this weekend.

vj granda
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by vj granda »

Good luck with your mapping, TheNutter.
I would like to see some video of the final result.
Cheers