mapping for a dome

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
audriaubri
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

mapping for a dome

Post by audriaubri »

Wondering if it is possible to map the output of Resolume to a full dome. For example I would like to be able to take a fisheye image(circle ) and spread it between 3 projectors to map it on a full dome. Or at least be able to
take 3 movies that have been created from the dome master and project each movie from a different projector creating the whole image mapped to the dome.
THANKS

Stickygreen
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: mapping for a dome

Post by Stickygreen »

what play back system does your dome utilize?

LXConcepts

Post by LXConcepts »

anything is possible given enough time and money....

that being said, resolume definitely has the capability to do what you're looking to do
Lighting and media server design

Stickygreen

Post by Stickygreen »

Well.... actually Resolume's Edge blending isn't really good enough to do a dome yet. As it cannot handle the blend of the compound curve of a 4 or 5 projector full dome system. Though Resolume will handle playback just fine, if you have an existing dome, with the projectors already set up. Also if the dome utilizes a single projector with a super ultra wide angle lens, then it's possible that Resolume will be usable, but I've never worked with one of those systems so I can't say for sure.
Last edited by Stickygreen on Fri May 24, 2013 08:10, edited 2 times in total.

pfelberg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by pfelberg »

United VJs developed Blendy and Blendy Dome VJ.
Arena can´t solve this by itself. Mapping a dome require a lot of distortion calculation.

http://www.blendy.in/dome/

HerrNieDa
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by HerrNieDa »

i once played in a planetarium... we used a big glass prisma and one powerfull beamer for the whole dome.... resolution clearly wasn't the best but anyways it looked awesome!

normally there are i think about 32 Dia-Projectors which are stitched together to get the dome projected....
MainSys: Z77 UP5,3570K,32GB Ram,GTX 285, M3 128GB,4x3TB R5@LSI9750
VJSys 1: 990FX UD5,X6 1045T,16GB Ram,GTX970+610+610,M3 128GB,3x1TB R0
MBP 3.1; Schenker A102 (650m) & P702 (675m)

LXConcepts

Post by LXConcepts »

Stickygreen wrote:well.... actually Resolume's Edge blending isn't really good enough to do a dome yet. As it cannot handle the blend of the compound curve of a 4 or 5 projector full dome system. Though Resolume will handle playback just fine, if you have an existing dome, with the projectors already set up. Also if the dome utilizes a single projector with a super ultra wide angle lens, then it's possible that Resolume will be usable, but I've never worked with one of those systems so I can't say for sure.
Any projector you'd want to use in that scenario should be able to edge blend in the projector itself...

Stickygreen

Post by Stickygreen »

LXConcepts wrote:
Stickygreen wrote:well.... actually Resolume's Edge blending isn't really good enough to do a dome yet. As it cannot handle the blend of the compound curve of a 4 or 5 projector full dome system. Though Resolume will handle playback just fine, if you have an existing dome, with the projectors already set up. Also if the dome utilizes a single projector with a super ultra wide angle lens, then it's possible that Resolume will be usable, but I've never worked with one of those systems so I can't say for sure.
Any projector you'd want to use in that scenario should be able to edge blend in the projector itself...
yes. But it sure would be nice to do a dome using only software blending. There are alot of opportunity's to feature fulldome video all around us, and having to invest in 4-5 high end projectors makes it an elite level, a proper software edge blend is really the only thing that stands between full dome for the masses, as it would enable consumer grade projectors with wide and ultra wide angle lenses to be utilized.

I have not had an opportunity to take Blendy out for a test drive yet, as the dome I have access to is only temporarily available part of the year. The next chance I get to play with it, I'll be able to test Blendy.
Last edited by Stickygreen on Fri May 24, 2013 08:09, edited 1 time in total.

LXConcepts

Post by LXConcepts »

I suppose so...

I frequently forget that not everyone has access to a fleet of christie 20-30k HD's to play with all the time 8-)

Stickygreen

Post by Stickygreen »

It's nice to use the big boys when you can, but in my world that means a paying customer to flip the rental bill.

And paying customers always want to do things there way...

If a decent software edge blend tool is really available that can do a dome, then this makes full dome cinema around $10,000 for a complete package, dome (small), projectors and playback device. That would be a very small and basic system, but great to learning the craft of full dome cinema. That has huge implications to the art form, as right now it's not really a common thing to find someone with experience working with dome video. Especially live video mixing like Vjing.

Personally I feel very strongly that Hollywood is going to start chasing new forms of immersive media, as 3D on a flat screen isn't really drawing the crowds to the theaters like it used to, and fulldome seems to me at least the next logical step... Maybe i'm totally nuts for thinking this, but I'd be willing to bet, the 2D movie is a thing of the past in 20 years time. Fulldome of some other form of display technology will eclipse it.