Rename Column Tabs

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
iamcrush
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Rename Column Tabs

Post by iamcrush »

Please would love this feature it wouldn't be hard at all to implement. I use multiple Columns for scenes in our bands live performance would love this feature...

theLABVisuals
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Rename Column Tabs

Post by theLABVisuals »

I use a different deck (named) for each song with the band I work with. And I'm no coder, but naming all the columns ... wouldn't that create havoc in saving of decks? More non fixed width character stings to take into account when saving / loading?
Introducing ARC - The APC40 mkII Extender.
ARC brings you 640 clip triggers, 128 Faders, 128 Track pots, 80 Scene launch, 16 foot switches and more.
https://www.theapc40extender.co.uk

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

it wouldn't be hard at all to implement
Wow.

Basic
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by Basic »

you mean you didnt know Joris? v.easy ;)
Resolume Avenue 3.3.3 - MBP i7, 8gb RAM - Snow Leopard (2010). Akai APC20

Rene
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Rene »

easy or not, isn't the question WHAT to code?

For me this raises further questions. Should the layer name and the column name (which are somehow similar/related) be part of a deck or rather a composition? I could imagine that depending on the situation both makes sense.

Right now layer names are per composition, are they? as well as transition types, opacity and volume, bypass, etc.

I personally would like to have a per deck option. So column and layer names change, predefined transitions change and also bypass and opacity are linked to the deck.

Overall custom names for columns makes totally sense to me. +1
(especially if it's so easy to implement) ;)

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Interesting turn of the discussion.

We've actually talked about having a deck level of control before. From the one end it kind of makes sense, but on the other hand it introduces a whole new level of complexity.

At this point we start crossing the very fine line between usability/intuitiveness and options/power user modes. Resolume has always tried to combine the best of those, but currently we don't see how a deck level could be introduced without making things a lot more complex.

Recently I came across an interesting post on VJforums in this regard: http://vjforums.com/showthread.php?t=39161 (specifically what is said towards the end of the thread ). If you consider how many people still do not fully grasp the concept of layer/deck ( or contextual/absolute ) mapping, I hate to think how many people will be scared off by global/deck effect levels.

mfo
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by mfo »

+1 for column names

and -1 for deck level layer renaming (etc.). very much prefer the simplicity of the current situation.

Joris

Post by Joris »

very much prefer the simplicity of the current situation.
Best compliment we could receive. Thanks!!!

gerred
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by gerred »

Unless I've missed the point...

I give my columns (deck-specific) names by simply adding a layer at the top of the stack and naming each empty clip up there, which therefore appears as a title right below the column header. Be sure to make this layer 'ignore column triggers' and maybe even black it out (B button) in the layer controls.

I have also generated jpegs and inserted them as clips in the top layer just to give a nice visual shorthand to my column 'scenes'.

Gerred

ReggieUnderground
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by ReggieUnderground »

gerred wrote: I have also generated jpegs and inserted them as clips in the top layer just to give a nice visual shorthand to my column 'scenes'.
Gerred
Nice. Good workaround.