Visualizer installation

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
houami
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Visualizer installation

Post by houami »

Hi
This is my first post and i am a newbie in this.
I want to install a music visualizer mapped to a surface in a bar or a restaurant.
In that case,is it possible to give the bar or hotel the executable version of what we do in resolume or they also have to purchase the software?(it has to be realtime and it has to be like an app where they can change the music)
Let me know.Thanks

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Visualizer installation

Post by drazkers »

The venue must buy the application, this isn't like touch designer which has a player.

They can be given a composition file, but all media must be relinked on the local drive. Real time effects generated inside of resolume only need the composition file that is loaded from within resolume.

houami

Post by houami »

@ drazkers
so in case of touch designer,the venue dont have to buy the application? any idea?

philmcrackin
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by philmcrackin »

houami wrote:@ drazkers
so in case of touch designer,the venue dont have to buy the application? any idea?
Incorrect. TouchDesigner has a way higher learning curve than Resolume. Resolume isn't that expensive and the demo is free to use, the only restriction (until you have entered your serial number) is the Resolume logo watermarked on the video output and a robot voice in the audio. If you really need to save money you can always use Resolume Avenue with IRMapio.

When you say "music visualizer", do you mean you want something like Winamp and you don't want to do any work creating content? Than this plugin is for you if you're on a PC: http://www.bigfug.com/product/fugvidrcvsrcgl2-windows/

houami

Post by houami »

Incorrect? so that means the venue has to purchase the touch designer software??

I am a seasoned user of Houdini.touch and houdini are mostly similair.
whats IRMapio?

philmcrackin

Post by philmcrackin »

houami wrote:Incorrect? so that means the venue has to purchase the touch designer software??

I am a seasoned user of Houdini.touch and houdini are mostly similair.
whats IRMapio?
If you read TouchDesigner websites, it says that TouchPlayer "is not a tool for commercial use and/or live performances.". I would assume that you're looking to do the mapping in TouchDesigner, I don't have any experience with mapping in that software but I would assume you would need the commercial version installed on their computer to do it as the TouchPlayer is limited in functionality. I think the VSquaredLabs dudes programmed their own mapping system in TouchDesigner and I don't think it has any mapping functionality in the software itself, if it does I would love it if somebody corrected me on that.

Anyway I would definitely go with TouchDesigner if you're already a seasoned user of Houdini, it's way more powerful than Resolume but it's not for most people as it has a steeper learning curve. When you say "music visualizer" you weren't exactly clear on what you meant by that. Are you talking about playing videos? Doing generative content? Could you elucidate a bit more on that?

IRMapio is a FreeFrame GL plugin that does video mapping for you.

houami

Post by houami »

@philmcrackin
dont know if this is a silly question?
cant we produce the output of a mapped video and pass it to the venue? :shock:

I havent done any kind of mapping.I wil start doing it pretty soon.As far as i know TD guys use KantanMapper for mapping

Music Visualizer
I would like to create the visualizer by my own and map it into a surface.By using Houdini I can create visualizer,but the drawback I would be having is that the content would not be real time.
by using resolume? can we create any custom content or we are bound to only use the presets?

LXConcepts

Post by LXConcepts »

houami wrote:can we create any custom content or we are bound to only use the presets?
resolume will play back anything you put into it

just remember to render to the DXV codec
Lighting and media server design

houami

Post by houami »

cant we just render out the video? and pass it to the venue and play it using a simple media player?

Basic
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by Basic »

Touch is a pain to map with I have found. There are Tox projects which you can download but you will need to buy a comercial license of Touch. Resolume will do what you need.

Touch is built on the same principles of houdini, same programmers or something like that.
Resolume Avenue 3.3.3 - MBP i7, 8gb RAM - Snow Leopard (2010). Akai APC20