Timeboy here from Brainfeeder

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
timeboy
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Timeboy here from Brainfeeder

Post by timeboy »

Hey guys,

I'm on the road with Flylo and we're going over an ever-expanding wish list of features for Resolume.

Here's what we got so far.

-UNDO - haha yes, I know what you're going to say already.
-launching clip based on SMPTE timecode - would this be difficult to implement? On the Yeezus tour I'm receiving SMPTE from a Pro Tools rig. There's certain clips that need to launch at specific SMPTE timecode ques.
-auto launch next clip at end of current clip (incorporated with transition sliders)
-separate clip start and loop points (like Ableton)
-bug fix: when grabbing/adjusting playhead, it snaps to loop handles. Very frustrating.
-bug fix: composition effects don't work when routing layers to slices - is this a bug or intrinsic?
-APC and Launchpad support, midi feedback - seriously this needs to happen. Just give us support for a few controllers. Like the most popular ones (apc, launchpad, livid). PLEASE!
-Keystroke-click Column Trigger button launches new column but still plays currently playing clips
-midi-mappable button that cycles through currently playing clips
-zoom in/out in Advanced Output- obviously this is on the list of to-do's

I'll expand on this more, I'm sure.

Loving Resolume btw. Thank you for being such rock stars!

Timeboy

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Timeboy here from Brainfeeder

Post by Joris »

Hiya Timeboy, good to hear from you again!
-UNDO - haha yes, I know what you're going to say already.
Good, so I don't have to say it then ;)
-launching clip based on SMPTE timecode - would this be difficult to implement?
Difficult not so much, but it's not in line with the current SMPTE implementation.

Right now, SMPTE is meant to allow to sync up one specific clip to a specific external audio source at a specific time. For instance at a showmoment when the next DJ intro starts. The whole FOH gets a cue, and SMPTE is started from a central point to audio, video, light, pyro and fx.

We're definitely going to enable SMPTE triggering in the future, but it's going to be part of a bigger set of timeline features which will allow for a lot more scripted show versatility.

For now, most crews solve SMPTE triggering by having a simple chat window open with the DJ where they hear what song is coming up. It's all about communication ;)
-auto launch next clip at end of current clip (incorporated with transition sliders)
Right click on the clip > Autopilot > Play next clip.
I think this is somewhere in the feature bucket. Let's see a rain of +1s for this first though...
-bug fix: when grabbing/adjusting playhead, it snaps to loop handles. Very frustrating.
Not so much a bug, but maybe unexpected behaviour. When you grab the playhead above the loop handle division, it will snap to the playhead. When you grab below the playhead, it will snap to the loop points. Try moving your mouse up and down in the playhead area, and you'll see the GUI item light up where it will snap to.
-bug fix: composition effects don't work when routing layers to slices - is this a bug or intrinsic?
Intrinsic. Composition effects are applied on the composition. Layers are routed to slices before they go to the composition. Maybe you can use effect clips instead?
-APC and Launchpad support, midi feedback - seriously this needs to happen. Just give us support for a few controllers. Like the most popular ones (apc, launchpad, livid). PLEASE!
Yeah, I know. I'm probably the biggest supporter of this in the office (even though I don't really see the need for it, but I understand how much it is wanted by you guys ). So every monday I hassle Edwin about this. I'll get him to cave sooner or later.
-Keystroke-click Column Trigger button launches new column but still plays currently playing clips
You want what to the who now? :)
-midi-mappable button that cycles through currently playing clips
Currently you can do this with the up and down arrows. These will be midi mappable in the future.
-zoom in/out in Advanced Output- obviously this is on the list of to-do's
Obviously ;)

LXConcepts
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by LXConcepts »

-launching clip based on SMPTE timecode - would this be difficult to implement?
Difficult not so much, but it's not in line with the current SMPTE implementation.

Right now, SMPTE is meant to allow to sync up one specific clip to a specific external audio source at a specific time. For instance at a showmoment when the next DJ intro starts. The whole FOH gets a cue, and SMPTE is started from a central point to audio, video, light, pyro and fx.

We're definitely going to enable SMPTE triggering in the future, but it's going to be part of a bigger set of timeline features which will allow for a lot more scripted show versatility.

For now, most crews solve SMPTE triggering by having a simple chat window open with the DJ where they hear what song is coming up. It's all about communication ;)
this can also be done really easily with pretty much any lighting software sending dmx to resolume...

if you already have lights firing in your show via smpte, have the lighting guy send artnet/dmx to you, and have him trigger those specific cues via his lighting console already run through smpte

anything you do on the software itself *should* still over ride what he's sending, provided it's programmed properly

you'll probably want to test this out first, just in case, although I've had success with this in the past
Lighting and media server design

Rene
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Rene »

goto10 wrote:
I think this is somewhere in the feature bucket. Let's see a rain of +1s for this first though...
if this is related to this old post: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4149
+2

deepvisual
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by deepvisual »

isnt it possible to just launch all timecode related clips at the start of the gig.
they will all just sit and wait until the correct time comes along?

twitchdoktor
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by twitchdoktor »

(Timeboy) -Keystroke-click Column Trigger button launches new column but still plays currently playing clips

(goto10)You want what to the who now? :)
I think what he meant, and Timeboy please correct if wrong, is a key combination (or perhaps a GUI checkbox) that would cause all layers that have no clip in the triggered column to continue playing the active clip in that layer. If so then workaround would be to have another instance of desired clip in that column, if desired clip can be specified.

timeboy
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by timeboy »

twitchdoktor wrote:
(Timeboy) -Keystroke-click Column Trigger button launches new column but still plays currently playing clips

(goto10)You want what to the who now? :)
I think what he meant, and Timeboy please correct if wrong, is a key combination (or perhaps a GUI checkbox) that would cause all layers that have no clip in the triggered column to continue playing the active clip in that layer. If so then workaround would be to have another instance of desired clip in that column, if desired clip can be specified.

Yes, you're exactly right. This function would be incredibly handy when triggering different content on different screens.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Right now, probably the most versatile solution is to right click on the empty clip handle and say 'ignore column trigger'. This will create a blank clip that will let the current clip keep playing when the column is triggered.

Also you can already tell the entire layer to ignore all column triggers altogether.