Bypass and Opacity for FX chains - any maybe presets

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Rene
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Bypass and Opacity for FX chains - any maybe presets

Post by Rene »

Is it possible to address (e.g. via OSC) all FX in a "slot" (per clip, layer, or composition) on a meta level? For example I want to bypass all FX at one, but not change the bypass state per FX. Because most of the time the combination of FX is what does the magic, and to be able to disable all FX for a few bars, and then come back to the very same combination like before (some bypassed, some not) with just one click would be awesome. Hope it's clear what I mean. If not, here is a little mockup.
fx-meta-control-mockup.png
fx-meta-control-mockup.png (67.11 KiB) Viewed 8889 times
Also a meta-preset would be brilliant. (maybe exactly where the 2 red arrows are in the mockup) A Preset which would load 1..n FX with specific parameter values. But I think this has been discussed before.

damstraversaz
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Bypass and Opacity for FX chains - any maybe presets

Post by damstraversaz »

I'm totally agree, it could be very useful , via OSC and midi too.
digital arts:
http://www.damientraversaz.com/#!art-numerique/c1s43
music for dance, documentary and digital arts:
http://www.damientraversaz.com/

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

Meta-preset would be brilliant. +1
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

This would probably work best as part of effect group presets, where a certain preset could be 'no fx' (cue flashback to the mid to late nineties). Each preset could then be approached via shortcuts as well.

This is on the to-do list, but currently not a priority :/

Rene

Post by Rene »

Hey Joris,

I see. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
The moment I pressed submit, I wished I would have posted 2 topics. One for bypass, one for presets - my fault I know. ;)

I really would very much appreciate a quick one button solution (mappable) to temporarily bypass FX. An effect group preset would be 'hidden' inside a drop down select box, at least in the current UI, wouldn't it?
Or could you imagine a "no fx" preset for normal FX instead of the bypass button? Besides that, it would require you to save the current parameter settings as new preset, to be able to recall them after a few seconds of "no FX". Hope it makes sense what I'm saying.

Anyway I'm very happy to know that effect groups are on the todo list.

Programfeed
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Programfeed »

Rene have you considered using effect clips to make your stacks and placing them on a new top layer in your comp? Adding buttons as discussed are a nice long-term solution, but this can get you by and offers a lot of flexibility with OSC/MIDI addressing.

Rene

Post by Rene »

Programfeed, thanks for your suggestion! Actually that sounds like a very good workaround to bypass all FX at once. Only drawback, I can't have two clip properties opened at once. Only the composition, layer and clip. So side-by-side view on currently playing video AND the master effects is not possible, but c'est la vie.
I will think if it's easier to adapt my Lemur template to offer this bypass for all composition FX's vs. update the OSC addresses to an effect layer...

Anyhow, thanks for your suggestion - very much appreciated!