Smarter installer/Upgrade process OS-X

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
lotech
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Smarter installer/Upgrade process OS-X

Post by lotech »

It would be nice if you spend a bit more time on your installer for Resolume. I can't say how many folders of Resolume I have in my applications folder and how often I get to a gig, click on Arena and start playing - with an old version of Resolume - and when I do realise and switch it doesn't have any of the plugins I've installed there.

At the very least it would be good if the Resolume/Arena installer offered to import the previous versions plugins and replace the dock icon. At the best you would have a current 'Resolume Arena' Application folder with older versions automagically being put in the same named folder but with the version number after it.

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Smarter installer/Upgrade process OS-X

Post by drazkers »

Adding something to the installer would be cool. But don't take away the multiple versions of Resolume being installed. Boy has that saved my bacon in the past.

lotech
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by lotech »

Absolutely. It should never remove anything - but it should move it and make the new install the default.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Actually, we do this intentionally. Because changing your setup is always a risk with live performance software, we try to make the user as conscious of the update process as possible.

By installing each new version as a complete new application (albeit one that takes its settings from the old one), it has to be a conscious decision for the user to start using the new version. Should unforeseen problems arise, it's then very easy to revert to the previously working version.

Of course, if the majority of you would prefer we make this decision for you, we can look into updating the update process.

Having said that, I agree that at least the plugin system can be improved when updating and using custom plugins. One way to do this, would be to use a separate folder in Documents to keep your 3rd party plugs. The preference to also load this folder would then be copied to the new version as well (unlike it is now).

Rene
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Rene »

Joris wrote:The preference to also load this folder would then be copied to the new version as well (unlike it is now).
+1

Why not let the user decide, whether to apply the old configuration or install a new clean version?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

That choice is made when you choose to use the update. Plugins are part of the update, so why have another choice whether or not to use the new ones?

Or are you talking about the preferences in general?

Rene
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Rene »

Hi Joris,

I was talking about the preferences in general and specifically the 3rd party plugins. I would prefer that the installer replaces the dock icon (when I install an update, I want to use it) - but I also want to have the old version installed - so please don't uninstall anything at all!
I would also like that my 3rd party plugins configuration are taken automatically from the previous version, or maybe ask me during installation, if I want to have them copied.