windows display order

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
yugpmoc
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

windows display order

Post by yugpmoc »

I running 5 and 6 port mini display port cards, sometimes two of them. Currently with Arena on W7 64. It seems every time I setup at a new venue, or often even when I reboot, my main display goes flitting off to one of the other screens... This causes stress, lots... Anyone have a solution?

LXConcepts

Re: windows display order

Post by LXConcepts »

plug the additional displays into the cards once windows is already running instead of loading with them already attached
Lighting and media server design

HerrNieDa
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by HerrNieDa »

try windows+cursor left /right to switch the main-screen...
MainSys: Z77 UP5,3570K,32GB Ram,GTX 285, M3 128GB,4x3TB R5@LSI9750
VJSys 1: 990FX UD5,X6 1045T,16GB Ram,GTX970+610+610,M3 128GB,3x1TB R0
MBP 3.1; Schenker A102 (650m) & P702 (675m)

yugpmoc

Post by yugpmoc »

Plugging in after I'm up makes no difference, I've tried all possible combinations of powered and unpowered plugging...

yugpmoc

Post by yugpmoc »

Oh la la! I love learning new keyboard shortcuts! I'll try that one out tonight... I'll owe you a beer or three for sure if it's really that easy.

Truly, what I want is a way to lock the display configuration. I often have to output a different format on each port, and very often, Resolume and windows get into huge arguments over display numbering.

Frischvergiftung

Post by Frischvergiftung »

yes we also have this problem here. we use an AMD w600 with 6 display port outputs. the screen numbers in windows and arena don't match. we tried deleting the config.xml and restating everything with connected projectors and without, to no avail. it is not so bad actually but doesnt help trusting our rig to perform flawlessly. support?

knowing about the shortcut to switch main screens might come in handy at some time though.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

If Windows places screens differently after a boot, re-arranging them in the Windows screen setup doesn't do much. internally they keep the same order. It's much easier to swap them around in the Advanced Output of Arena.
SwapScreens.png
SwapScreens.png (12.65 KiB) Viewed 11498 times

Frischvergiftung

thanks for the answer! yes, thats what we do now. works too. just a bit confusing, and we wonder why arena should stick with his own interpretation of screen order when this order should be set by the catalyst drivers. is this something we have to live with or is there a way to tell arena to reconsider?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

It's not really our interpretation. We ask the system what screens are available, and we simply list what we get back.

Frischvergiftung

okay, we will dive into the AMD fire pro settings, maybe we find something there!