Group and Hide Layers

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
kmifflin
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Group and Hide Layers

Post by kmifflin »

I like to see a grouping feature. I use the layer router often when I need to pip in the same content to two places, I wish I didn't have to scroll past the layer with the router on it. Grouping and hiding this would help.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Group and Hide Layers

Post by Joris »

Grouping, hiding and locking layers has been discussed quite a bit.

We're not really enthusiastic about it, but we can see how useful this would be. I'm not quite sure if we can manage an elegant solution in the next release, but we're aware of the demand.

VJzoo
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by VJzoo »

This would be great especially for laptops with lower resolution screens, maybe being able to compact the layer like you can with an effect so it just has the name and an opacity slider could work.
Jas
(the dyslexic VJzoo)

http://vjzoo.com
~ quite nice visuals ~

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

It'd also be great to have the ability to group layers and have a group transport control (pause, play, speed, etc....) which controls all the layers within the group as a sub-composition. The transport control would be applied on top of the layer controls so different layers within the group could have different speeds for instance and adjusting the group speed would adjust the different layers accordingly. Same with all other transport controls. So if a layer is paused, it would remain paused even after the group is played in either direction. Hopefully that makes sense!

Then, we could composite groups with other groups & non-grouped layers and use the group as an output for advanced outputs or use the router for either layers or groups.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

So if a layer is paused, it would remain paused even after the group is played in either direction. Hopefully that makes sense!
Not really, actually ;) Do you want the paused clip to follow the group or not? How would Resolume know when to follow the group and when not to? The only way we could see something like group controls working, is in the same way as the global direction controls work now.

But all in all group controls are not something we're going to add anytime soon.

lotech
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by lotech »

Another way would be adding some basic module and scripting supper - help us help ourselves. It would be good if I could make a button in the GUI that could send multiple Midi or OSC commands.