New ">" button when midi mapping

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
emendi
Is taking Resolume on a second date

New ">" button when midi mapping

Post by emendi »

Hi.
I noticed a new button (4.1.9-4.1.10) that i can't find any information about it...
When I'm in midi mapping mode there is a button reveald between the transition time fader to the first clip on each layer and on the column and deck rows that marked ">" (Screenshot attached).
the button is hidden in all other modes.

I tried to map it on a button or a knob but it's not acting like i guessed it will (play next clip/column/deck)...
i can't find it on the manual or 4.1.9-4.1.10 new features.
Any ideas?
what am i missing?

Thanks
Screen Shot 2014-06-09 at 11.49.13 AM.png

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: New ">" button when midi mapping

Post by Joris »

Good eye! This is a new 'secret' feature.

It lets you trigger clips in a layer via a single midi cc. You assign the cc to the '>'.

Then each value for that cc will trigger a different clip in that layer. So value 1 will trigger clip 1, value 2 will trigger clip 2, all the way up to 127.

It's basically the same way that DMX can be used to trigger clips with values in a single channel.

emendi

Post by emendi »

Hi Joris.
Thanks for the detailed information.
Great feature!

If you planted more 'secrets' on this version ill be more then happy to get some clues :)

oren.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Hi Joris,

How would you use this feature with an Akai APC40? Does it work with Columns as well?

Frédéric

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Although it does work for columns, personally I wouldn't use it with an APC40.

If you really wanted, you could use it to trigger the first 127 columns or clips using a single rotary encoder or fader. I doubt you could get much precision out of it.

It's more meant for sequencers, so you can easily trigger clips using a single midi cc and only changing the value.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Joris, is a next column button planned for Arena 5? I know it's come up in the forum before, but I'm not sure whether it's in the plans. It would be so great for running shows when you do columns style triggering. It would be like having a a GO button on a light board especially if it can be assigned to a MIDI controller.

Joris

Post by Joris »

We haven't reached the stage of Res 5 yet that I can give a definite answer on that. But we're aware of the demand for it, so it's going to be discussed for sure.

weezhum

Post by weezhum »

JORIS, Can you tell me why you said you wouldn't recommend it on the apc 40? I am just curious, it is my favorite midi controller. Thanks.

Joris

Post by Joris »

It's not about the APC40 specifically, it's about using faders or rotaries on a midi controller for this in general.

Why don't you give it a try? Map your first fader to this control on layer 1, and then try to accurately trigger clips with it. Pretty hard to do, right?

This feature is more intended for use with for instance Ableton Live or Vezer. Before, if you wanted to sequence clips from an app like this, you'd have to go back and forth and assign a Midi Note for each and every clip you'd want to trigger. It's do-able, but pretty mind-numbing.

Now, you can just assign a single CC to the layer, and then sequence by drawing envelope values for that CC.

Joris

Post by Joris »

Come to think of it, the APC40 is probably one of the few controllers where you could use the relative mode to step through clips with a rotary pretty accurately.