Video Resolution in Output Problems

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: Video Resolution in Output Problems

Post by Oaktown »

Agreeing 100% with Cosmowe but HD is not going to solve your brightness issue when venues have ambient light. From your first post, it sounds like you're using a small table top beamer, right? You'll probably need a brighter one (or double up but small beamers are harder to stack) and if you want the image to be crisp, get one with higher native resolution (1600x1200 or 1920x1080 on up).

Ideally, you'll want as many Foot-Lambers that you can afford (and then some....) but if you have ambient light, I'd recommend you have at least 30fL. Here is the spreadsheet I made to calculate fL based on various parameters (in yellow): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing. Feel free to share it and please send me feedback (I enabled comments in the sheet) if you find it useful or if something is not clear.

fingerblastj
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by fingerblastj »

im using a benq mw860usti

it 1280x800 but shows 1600x1200 and 16:10

i dont know how many FL my projector does. Any way you can tell me where i stand?

The brighter the projector the more $$$ it is, and they can get really expensive.

Im just trying to get it off the ground first.

Once its all good, i can move forward and get a ridiculously bright projector.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

In theory, the fL is a mathematical relationship of your projector output and the screen size assuming a gain of 1 at the screen. There are many factors that can make the image dimmer than expected (such as dull projection surfaces, ambient light, bounced light, etc...) and very few factors that can make your image brighter such as an expensive projection screen with a gain >1.

Your projector is 3K so in theory you will get 48 fL on a 10'x6.25 screen, 33 fL on a 12'x7.5' screen, 16 fL on a 16'x10' screen and 12 fL on a 20'x12.5'..... But, it doesn't look like you are projecting on projection screens and there is tons of ambient light so chances are you are not getting the numbers above. Probably far from it! You can make a copy of the spreadsheet I sent you and plug in your own numbers (just disregard the LCD size since that projector is DLP)

Also, your projector is 1280x800 native so anything else you put in there will not be optimal. For instance your projector can scale to 1600x1200 input but that's 4:3 ratio whereas your projector is 16:10 so in order to display 1600x1200, the image would be 1067x800 so you wouldn't be projecting full width. Here is a good article on native resolution vs maximum resolution: http://www.projectorcentral.com/maximum_resolution.htm