Video stuttering using clips with added audio

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Video stuttering using clips with added audio

Post by cosmowe »

Hey guys...
I can't remember if this came up before...

I ran into this the last few shows where all my clips ran well except of the well known unsmooth playback issue(Forum-Link to well known issue)

So here is my problem:
I place a 1920x1080 30fps DXV clip twice into my clipdeck. To one of the clips I add a *.wav 44khz 16 bit stereo audiofile via drag'n'drop and set the clip to timeline playback. My composition is set to 1920x1080. My Output-display is set to 1080p 60 Hz.

Now...when I playback the clip without audio it runs "okay" + the well known bug I mentioned before.

If I now playback the clip with audio it stutters twice as much as the clip without audio. Its not a massive stuttering but it's to much to just say..."its allright..."

What I tried so far to fix this:

- I tried any combination of audiorate and buffersize possible and stayed with the only one that seems "okay" but it still stutters like I described above.

- I've made some tests with a external audicard (NI Komplete Audio6) / No luck here! The best audiorate and buffersize had changed but the clip still stutters more than the one without audio.

- when I place the audio under the clip in the same column and trigger the column...it works without stuttering

Does anyone has this issue too?

May someone test this and check it? :P
StutterTest_DXV.rar
DXV Testfile
(794.06 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
StutterTest_WAV.rar
WAV Testfile
(1.05 MiB) Downloaded 280 times

Greeeeeetings
cowmowe
Last edited by cosmowe on Wed Jul 02, 2014 22:51, edited 1 time in total.
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

cvanhoose
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: Video stuttering using clips with added audio

Post by cvanhoose »

This has been an issue for me as well. I separated the audio tracks and then add the .wav to the video to correct the issue. I have tried several audio codecs embedded into the video files with the same result.

cosmowe

Post by cosmowe »

Hi cvanhoose,
thanks for your reply.

That's exactly what I have done ;)

The Resolume guys recommend to use a separate wav...and I did. But.....still no luck!

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Have you tried decreasing your buffer size?

cosmowe

Post by cosmowe »

- I tried any combination of audiorate and buffersize possible and stayed with the only one that seems "okay" but it still stutters like I described above.
There is only one combination which not slowing down the video...or creating noisy glitches. But... it still stutters more than the same clip without audio

Any other idea?
Last edited by cosmowe on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:01, edited 1 time in total.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

So what buffer size and sample rate are you using?

cosmowe

Post by cosmowe »

With the onboard soundcard I'm using
Samplerate: 44100
Buffer Size: 1024

With the external Soundcard (NI Komplete Audio 6)
Samplerate: 48000
Buffer Size: 2048

Joris

Post by Joris »

Well, if a lower buffer size does not help you, I'm afraid it is how it is.

The problem is basically the same as the one in the 'smooth playback' topic. The stutters are caused by a sync problem between Resolume refreshing its frame and the monitor refreshing its frame. When we don't tell Resolume to update its frame exactly at the same time as the monitor expects it, some frames can be displayed twice and others skipped.

In the case of an AV clip, the update timing is handled on the thread running the audio, so the discrepancies can be even bigger. Aside from keeping the buffer size as low as possible, there's not much you can do about it.

The good news is that for the past two weeks, Edwin has been staring at a horizontal scrolling line. Aside from a few nervous ticks and talking more gibberish than usual, he has made some significant improvements. We're not 100% there yet, but its looking very promising.

cosmowe

Post by cosmowe »

Gibberish..ha?.....seems legit to solve difficult problems! :D

So then - thanks for this clear info. Till Edwin still is only my personal potential god...I will firing audio and video completely separated via a column trigger. This method had the best results so far.

Thanks!!!

Greetings
cosmowe

P.S.: @Edwin: ..if....then.....a beer barrel with your name on it.....I repeat....a beer barrel with your name on it