Camera Source Crashes

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
projectneptune
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Camera Source Crashes

Post by projectneptune »

Hey All,

I am having some issues with Resolume crashing, and I suspect that it has to do with the number of camera sources I am loading into the project. I am wondering if there is a limit to either how many camera sources that can be used in one composition, or how many times a particular camera source can be copied? As of now I am running a black magic pocket cam into a black magic intensity pro via HDMI, and into a new 2014 mac pro tower via thunderbolt.(tower specs... OSX 10.9.3, 3.5Ghz 6core, 32 GB DDR3, AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB) The live video is 1080 24p.

I am building a project with a lot of live chroma keying, in which backgrounds are changing frequently. I am using the columns as "GO" buttons, and copying the settings of the camera source from column to column, allowing for seamless changing, but it seems that after triggering about 10 columns in a row with the same camera settings, Resolume begins to get buggy, and then eventually crashes. I am wondering if there is a more efficient way to build this function in my project?

I am also wondering if it has anything to do with the duration setting on each camera. To be honest, I don't quite understand what that number (5000) is referring to, or if there is a way to make the camera's less processing heavy, while maintaining resolution? Can someone explain how to properly use that setting?

Any advice on this matter would be very welcomed.

Thanks!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Camera Source Crashes

Post by Zoltán »

are you using png backgrounds?
large jpegs can eat memory fast, and that can cause crash.

you could try using ignore column trigger on your camera layer instead of copying the camera source in every column, if you don't need to fade out the camera between cues.

the duration is set in milliseconds, eg ,5000 means 5sec.
it sets the clip duration when you use autopilot.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

I've successfully used three sources (BMD capture cards HD-SDI & HDMI) on some high profile events with no issues whatsoever so I have a feeling your problem lays elsewhere.

As Ravensc mentioned, png/jpeg backgrounds could be the reason especially if you are triggering columns in rapid succession.

Have you tried your sources alone with no effects? If that works, then I'd introduce effects and backgrounds one thing at a time to figure out what tips your system over the edge. If the problem comes from your backgrounds, try creating short DXV movies with your background instead of png/jpeg files.

projectneptune

Post by projectneptune »

Thanks Guys. I will try out your suggestions and report back asap!

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Did you figure out what was causing your crashes?

projectneptune

Post by projectneptune »

Not yet. I have converted all media to dxv, and now resolume is crashing every time I attempt to bring in new files.

Would it be helpful to post the crash report?

Thanks!

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Can you let us know how much memory Resolume is using when it crashes? On a Mac, you can use Activity Monitor for this.

projectneptune

Post by projectneptune »

Hey Joris,

It appears to be using about 780mb of memory at the time of crash. It seems to crash automatically when I begin searching for more content in the files tab. I attempted to repeat the problem on a new composition, and the file tab did not crash Resolume. Do you have other thoughts as to what is causing the crashes?

Thanks!

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Well, 709MB is well within the limit.

But if you're not crashing on a new comp, something in your old comp is most likely the cause.

Since we're not experiencing this problem ourself, we have to rely on your info to track down the problem. I would start by recreating your old comp step by step, and testing file import after each step.

The moment you can tell us what exactly is causing the instability, that's the moment we can go in and hopefully fix it.

projectneptune

Post by projectneptune »

Hi Joris,

Sorry for the delay. After a bunch of testing it seems that I was incorrect before. Even on a brand new composition, just simply searching though the files tab, or attempting to drag any file format into the deck is crashing my resolume. I am going to attempt a re-install and see if that solves the problem

Thanks.