Screen Array - I think it's possible, I can't figure out how

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Critter
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Screen Array - I think it's possible, I can't figure out how

Post by Critter »

Hello Everyone,

I'm getting into Resolume to try and make something I've had in my mind for a while.
I think Arena will allow me to do it, but I'd like to make sure before I take the financial plunge.

There's an image below which will give you an idea of what I'm going to try and do.

My guess is, the people who built the setup in the image below are pros, with tons of great gear / splitters / stuff I don't understand.
I have a 15" Full-Spec Retina Macbook and an HD projector, nothing else, so I got to thinking about building a stack of TVs and monitors, and painting out each screen, and then mapping Resolume's output onto these screens using slices.
So far, I think it should be ok. I'm a bit stuck on what to do next though...

What I like about the reference image is that some screens are showing unique content, while others are forming an composite array, showing parts of a larger image (the composite flag, on left)

My question is, once each slice of the output is nicely warped onto each screen, how will I be able to switch from showing parts of a large sliced up image to showing the same image on each screen, or random colours flickering on each screen, for instance. I'm very comfortable in AfterEffects, but I'm hoping there's a way to do it in a more 'live' way. Maybe nothing like this exists.

Then, (and I'm sorry this is possibly in the wrong department) would a 2.8ghx i7 Retina MBP w/ 16gb RAM be able to handle this amount of warping, AND is there any sort of hardware peripheral which can aid the laptop by handling graphics processing?

If you have answers to anything above, I'd be very grateful.

Chris

Muenchner_Kammerspiele_Small.jpg
Muenchner_Kammerspiele_Small.jpg (25.62 KiB) Viewed 6289 times

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Screen Array - I think it's possible, I can't figure out

Post by He2neg »

I think it could be possible with a lot of layers / Slices / hours of mapping

A few things to keep in mind If you only use 1 projektor:
- you will only have 1 sharp distance ( projektor -> Screens )
- You have to arange all your stuff perfect so you can reach all of the Tv screen ( no shadows)

Changing Content ( from 1 big picture to smaller) ist not so difficult then :

Layer 1 = Mapped over 4 Screens ( 1 big picture) ( slice 1 )

Layer 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 = mapped to the same screens but each single ( slice 2/3/4/5 )

The Importand stuff now : get the Demo and try it ;)

put a bunch of boxes somewere and start mapping around
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

It's a lot less intimidating if you break down the composition as follows:
Muenchner_Kammerspiele_Small..jpg
Muenchner_Kammerspiele_Small..jpg (48.82 KiB) Viewed 6254 times
All yellows are the same image
All greens are the same image
Everything in red is mapped
the two screen in red/blue look lie they could be the same image flipped on their Y axis

Not sure what the black bars on the screens are but assuming it's a combination of TV's and projection, you could achieve this effect with three outputs:

Output 1: Yellow - distributed composite signal
Output 2: Green - distributed composite signal
Output 3: Red & red/blue - projected on TVs with 1 projector

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

You can do this type of projection easily in resolume arena with the advanced output and slices as described above.
fob67cry wrote: Not sure what the black bars on the screens are but assuming it's a combination of TV's and projection, you could achieve this effect with three outputs:
I think the black bars are only visible in the photograph, it should be the CRT tvs screen refresh blackout between two frames if the photograph was taken with a relatively short exposition time.

making an effect like this would look cool like broken tvs.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by He2neg »

IF i understood him right he dont want to use the TV screens
he want to project with 1 projector all the images on the screens.

All depends on how flexible you want to be, if you know screen 4 and screen 7 will allways be the same picture then you just copy your slice and map it to both.

how to achive the result in your picture ( i thought it´s just an example) you can read in the very good post No2 :geek:
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

DayVeeJay
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by DayVeeJay »

You can use layer routers to select the content on the fly and select which layer is used for each slice inside of the advanced output