List of problems (partially QHD / Win8 related)

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
mfo
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

List of problems (partially QHD / Win8 related)

Post by mfo »

Hi guys,
i got a new awesome notebook (Dell xps 15, 2014 edition) with a hi dpi screen and windows8 running. it is fantastic to finally be able to use a touchscreen! but i also ran into some troubles. it would be great if you could take care of those in future releases. thanks!

* the problem regarding the hiDPI screens and Korg midi controllers as described here
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11353

* removing a column that holds the currently active clip -> the horizontal scroller jumps back to the beginning. this is especially confusing when you are further in your deck and in the middle of "cleaning house"

* setting the incoming and outgoing OSC port accidently to the same value is a nice way to kill Arena and make it unstartable. only fix was to edit the config.xml manually.

* this is an historic bug ;) - Arena keeps on forgetting the Midi CC for the lowest layer's opacity fader. whenever i start Arena on a freshly booted computer, load a composition, then the CC (from composition Midi map) for the lowest layer needs to be reassigned.

* whenever i save the composition the effects panel jumps back to start. as i have to save quite often (cause we have no undo), this happens annoyingly often.

* the fps display (enabled in Output menu) sometimes disappears. can't really tell under what circumstances, it always happens in the most inopportune moments^^. (but obv it is not a big issue.)

mfo

Re: List of problems (partially QHD / Win8 related)

Post by mfo »

does this list make it into the bug ticketing/fixing? anything confusing, where i might help?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

I was just working on a response actually ;)
the problem regarding the hiDPI screens and Korg midi controllers
The problems with scaling on Win machines is on our radar. It's a tough one to fix, but it is what you'd call a showstopper.

We can't do anything about bad Korg drivers though.
removing a column that holds the currently active clip -> the horizontal scroller jumps back to the beginning.
Yeah, this is caused by the new feature in 4.1.9 which always scrolls the grid to the active clip. You can turn it off in the prefs ( which is the first thing I do on a new computer, because personally I think this is the worst feature ever. But hey, everybody else seems to love it, so what do I know, right? ).
setting the incoming and outgoing OSC port accidently to the same value is a nice way to kill Arena and make it unstartable.
We'll see if we can block you from entering the same number for both.
Arena keeps on forgetting the Midi CC for the lowest layer's opacity fader
We haven't gotten around to testing this yet. If we can recreate it, we'll surely fix it.
whenever i save the composition the effects panel jumps back to start.
Yeah, I think this might have been requested before. This is not going to be fixed before Res 5 though :(
the fps display (enabled in Output menu) sometimes disappears. can't really tell under what circumstances,
Oh really? Let us know if you figure it out and we'll see what we can do.

mfo

Post by mfo »

Nice one, Joris.
A few comments:
Joris wrote:
removing a column that holds the currently active clip -> the horizontal scroller jumps back to the beginning.
Yeah, this is caused by the new feature in 4.1.9 which always scrolls the grid to the active clip. You can turn it off in the prefs ( which is the first thing I do on a new computer, because personally I think this is the worst feature ever. But hey, everybody else seems to love it, so what do I know, right? ).
Ah, didn't know about that feature. It's of no use for me either, I would want to trigger stuff that I don't see. So count me in for the haters club ;)
In any case, if I disable it, the jumps still keeps on happening.
Joris wrote:
Arena keeps on forgetting the Midi CC for the lowest layer's opacity fader
We haven't gotten around to testing this yet. If we can recreate it, we'll surely fix it.
Yea, it's a tricky one. Doesn't happen all the time for me, but consistently pops up occasionally, since years. It only happens to that particular fader and only in Composition mapping!
Joris wrote:
the fps display (enabled in Output menu) sometimes disappears. can't really tell under what circumstances,
Will do my best. It's one of these nasty bugs, hard reproduce..

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

In any case, if I disable it, the jumps still keeps on happening.
Hmmmm. Works for me :?

Are you sure you disabled the correct panel? There's two midi related toggles in the prefs.
Scrolling.png
Scrolling.png (10.31 KiB) Viewed 9089 times

mfo

Post by mfo »

Ah, sorry, I changed the other checkbox (update clips panel..) - now it's fine. thanks!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

setting the incoming and outgoing OSC port accidently to the same value is a nice way to kill Arena and make it unstartable.

We'll see if we can block you from entering the same number for both.
I have experienced resolume hanging/crashing when fiddling with OSC output settings (IP address or port) and crashes are almost always reproducable while any playback is running - so resolume is sending OSC output.

Same port should be only a problem if the IP address for output is localhost(or ip of the computer) ?

edit:
actually tried to reproduce, now, but could not .:S
Edit 2: now I could reproduce it, will send the appcrash log via feedback.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

jjames
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by jjames »

I would like to add my vote to getting a fix for hidpi screens. I bought an xps15 for Resolume, and Adobe software, only to find it very hard to use. Adobe Photoshop CC2014 has a fix now, which is great except I am a CS5.5 user.

The other software I use is Vectorworks, and that is also unusable. Text will scale, but the box doesn't so it clips text.

I hope that Microsoft can find a way of dealing with their broken scaling API soon, because it is leaving a lot of idiots with fancy screens they can't use.

I have had to start trying to do everything in Blender, as they have a good scaling feature. I would even do word processing in it if I could.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Joris wrote:
The fps counter disappears from the Output Monitor for me when a non playing clip is previewed.
Happens on win7 and osx too, but not a big deal.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu