Midi Controller that allows to enter a specific value?

Bro, does your rig even lift?
vjcharm
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Midi Controller that allows to enter a specific value?

Post by vjcharm »

So for most midi controllers you have notes (which are on or off) and controls (which have a range of values) is there any controllers that allow you to enter a specfic value for the controller? Currently the controllers are usually knobs that go through every value, i.e. can you enter a value of 35 and then say 110, a controller would make you turn the knob from 35 to 110, going through all the values in between. Know what I mean? :)

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: Midi Controller that allows to enter a specific value?

Post by Oaktown »

If you are on a mac, take a look a Vezer: http://vezerapp.hu/

You can actually program your MIDI values using keyframes so for instance you could use a Midi CC track to control one parameter of Resolume and change the value from 0 to 127 in 20 seconds.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Midi controllers I know for sure that can do this are the Behringer BCR and BCF and the Korg NanoKontrol.

But if you just want to have your controller affect a certain range of a parameter, you can do it in Resolume as well.

The best way to do this, is to link the parameter you want to control to the dashboard. You do this by dragging the parameter name on to the dashboard dial.

Then assign your midi knob to control that dashboard dial. This is done simply via the App Midi Mapping mode.

Exit the mapping mode, scroll back down to the parameter, and change the in and out point to your preferred values.

Now your midi knob will control the entire range of the dashboard dial, but the dial will only affect your parameter between the in and out point range you set.

Hope that makes sense!

thedawjones
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by thedawjones »

Akai LPD8.
good luck.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Currently the controllers are usually knobs that go through every value, i.e. can you enter a value of 35 and then say 110, a controller would make you turn the knob from 35 to 110, going through all the values in between.
My understanding of the original post was that Vjcharm wanted to be able to key in Midi CC values directly without having to go through all the intermediate values rather than setting different ins and outs, am I reading this right?

Can you do that with the Behringer BCR and BCF and the Korg NanoKontrol or Akai LPD8? I would think that it would require a numeric keypad so that one can select the Midi CC channel and key in the value between 0 and 127 then enter.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Good point, Oaktown.

I guess it comes down to how you interpret "turn the knob from 35 to 110, going through all the values in between". Either "going through" means skipping over, or it means sending out. It's a bit ambiguous, that's for sure.
vjcharm wrote:Know what I mean?
Apparently we don't ;)

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Thanks Joris,

Do you know a Midi controller that has the ability to key in the value Midi CC with a keypad?

As an alternative, could you guys add a step mode for CC where you can enter value(s) that Resolume would react to and ignore all other values?

For instance:
  • Mode: Steps (0,64,127)
    or
    Mode: Step (0,32,64,96,127)
So by turning the knob, you'd be able to go through the steps rather than using continuous values.

I've almost completely transitioned to OSC so it's not useful to me but I can see how this could be helpful so if it's feasible maybe I should put this in as a feature request, what do you think?

Joris

Post by Joris »

We actually have some ideas along those lines...

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

For R5 I'm sure, right?

vjcharm
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by vjcharm »

Joris wrote:Good point, Oaktown.

I guess it comes down to how you interpret "turn the knob from 35 to 110, going through all the values in between". Either "going through" means skipping over, or it means sending out. It's a bit ambiguous, that's for sure.
vjcharm wrote:Know what I mean?
Apparently we don't ;)
Hey everyone, thanks for all the suggestions. I was indeed asking for a numeric keypad type entry for a midi value. Basically, my idea is to be able to change frame rates and jump to a specific frame rate, rather than turning a knob or slider and going through all the ranges in between.