novation launchcontrol midi button lights

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Christoph
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

novation launchcontrol midi button lights

Post by Christoph »

hi!
maybe this is an easy question, but i'd like to change it and don't know how.
i recently bought the novation launchcontrol midi controller and tried mapping it to resolume. so far no big deal. i want the buttons to enable/disable (bypass) effects, and if the effect is on the button should light up (i don't care in which colour tbh). with my other controllers that have enlightened buttons (akai mpd32, korg nanokontrol) it works without enabling midi out in the preferences. when it's reversed (light on when effect off and light off when effect on) i simply say "invert" in the midi mapping dialog.
with the launchcontrol i had to enable midi out to get the buttons light, but i can't inverse it, so when all effects are bypassed the controller is lighting like a christmas tree. any idea how to get the buttons only light when an effect is on? at the moment i have the buttons to send CC, but i also tried to send notes which caused more troubles. i guess the behaviour of the launchcontrol is the same as the launchpad, so maybe someone has experiences whith that...
greets,

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: novation launchcontrol midi button lights

Post by Joris »

Unfortunately, you get into a crazy feedback loop when you invert the toggle behaviour.

Toggling the button on will send an on message to Resolume, turning the bypass on, we would then invert this so the bypass is actually turned off, which would send an off message to the button to turn itself off as well, which will turn the button off and send an off message to Resolume to turn the bypass off, which we would then invert so the bypass is actually on, which would then send an on message to the controller to turn itself on, which would send an on message to Resolume which we would then invert to ... Etc etc. Repeat to infinity.

We have some ideas on how to improve button LED feedback behaviour in Res 5. But for the time being, you're going to have to learn to read your controller inverted or resort to Bomes wizardry.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

The Launch Control looks pretty snazzy actually. How is it?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

It does look great but unfortunately, it doesn't look like the 16 knobs are endless so that makes it hard to use to control parameters of active layer and clip.

Christoph
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Christoph »

good to know that i'm not too dumb for this lights ;) i'll learn to live with the inverted lights until res5 comes out (when?) :mrgreen: i like my controllers to talk directly to resolume without a wizard in between.
the controller is quite solid and compact - that's what i've been looking for and i like it! the knobs are not endless, but for my usage i don't need them to be. however, i just bought it last week and had one gig the weekend, so i haven't tested it all through...

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Endless faders are a must for me which is why I love the APC40 controller.

With the endless feature, when you switch between layers or clips and your knobs are always set to the value you last used so it's very smooth for live sets. Whereas the 0-100 knobs force the parameters to jump to the current value of your knob.

But the LaunchControl looks like a great controller for sure. Have fun with it!