New column from currently playing clips

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
psychodalien
Is taking Resolume on a second date

New column from currently playing clips

Post by psychodalien »

I would like to have an option similar to Ableton's "Capture and insert Scene" because frequently it happens when you're playing with clips and effects - that something interesting comes out. So the idea is to instantly "grasp" that magic combination and put it in a new column.

ReggieUnderground
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: New column from currently playing clips

Post by ReggieUnderground »

This is a cool idea but I'm not sure how it could be implemented in Resolume.

For example, what if part of the look you want to "save" includes global effects and particular blend modes across layers? If it were possible to recall this exact state of your Deck and Comp, it would likely overwrite/change things that you might have adjusted between your "save" and "recall."

What I usually do in this situation is take a screenshot of the GUI screen. In most cases it's easy to reference that and rebuild the look.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

I think there are too many variables in that situation, some which could not be easily captured like
layer blend mode, opacity, - or should they be not captured?

Composition effects could be placed as a copy-effect clip on the top layer, and layer effects could be integrated to the clip.
For the latter to work a clip video render chain would have to be modified, to allow 2 stages of video effects, before and after transformation. (I already wanted to make this a feature request)

I think making the built-in recording function capture a longer video would maybe be an alternative to this.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

psychodalien

Post by psychodalien »

Well, guys, I think that the idea is to keep it simple. Just copying clips with effects applied to them would be a good start.
The other options like "snapshots" of current layer modes and their opacity sliders values is a marvelous idea but is more complex to my understanding. As well as copying layer effects to clip currently placed on the layer and making a new effect layer to put the global effects into it. Though it's also a wonderful idea.
But in my experience, I prefer to use only clip effects and use only clips with an alpha channel. In case I need global effect I can use Layer Router. Blending modes aren't very useful for me. The point is - if you find this option useful you can adopt your workflow to make good use of it because Resolume, thankfully, provides
different ways to achieve your goals.

ReggieUnderground 'What I usually do in this situation is take a screenshot of the GUI screen.'
A bunch of screenshots ).

ravensc - I didn't quite understand 'I think making the built-in recording function capture a longer video would maybe be an alternative to this' but it reminded me of Arkaos option to record a script of vj session so you can see how exactly did you perform later. Did you mean that?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

psychodalien wrote: ravensc - I didn't quite understand 'I think making the built-in recording function capture a longer video would maybe be an alternative to this' but it reminded me of Arkaos option to record a script of vj session so you can see how exactly did you perform later. Did you mean that?
no, I mean the record button, that makes a video from your composition and places it in layer 1 on the first free slot, but it is only able to record relatively short clips on higher resolutions.

The script recording you mention had also been discussed as offline rendering i think.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

psychodalien

Post by psychodalien »

ravensc wrote: no, I mean the record button, that makes a video from your composition and places it in layer 1 on the first free slot, but it is only able to record relatively short clips on higher resolutions.
But the record button can't help if you use some audio reactive parameters with your clip. Hence you can't use these clips later on. As soon as music changes the recorded video will go out of sync.