Timeline doesn't work if the video has embedded audio

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
gabonacorp
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Timeline doesn't work if the video has embedded audio

Post by gabonacorp »

Hi guys,

I found a really strange thing in 4.2. I have a Hackintosh (i7, 32GB, SSD, gtx680) and I tested 4.2 demo. If i load a video what has embedded audio than in timeline mode it won't start the clip from the beginning. actually if I click to the clip or the comp it just start to play the video from a random position. I tested it with h.264, prores, dxv3, dxv2 and the result is the same. I tested just an audio file (aif) and the problem is the same, so the audio channel is the bad guy.

videos without audio channel works normally. In BPM mode everything is okay. I downloaded 4.1.11 and everything works perfectly!! this problem shows up only in 4.2.

I tested it in my MacbookPro (10.8.5) and there problem didn't comes up. It is really strange. I figure out three major differences:

- hackintosh - original apple product (4.1.11 and everything before works perfectly so it is questionable)
- 10.8.3 vs 10.8.5 (I didn't had time to upgrade but I will test that also)
- Blackmagic product with audio output (decklink sdi 4k)

anybody meets with this funny thing before?
Last edited by gabonacorp on Sat May 09, 2015 16:06, edited 1 time in total.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Timeline don't work if the video has embedded audio

Post by Zoltán »

there is a feature that lets you play clips from the last playback position on relaunch. are you sure it is not checked?
this:
this:
Képernyőfotó 2015-05-09 - 13.22.58.png (14.99 KiB) Viewed 9071 times
could you upload one of the files you have this problem with?

I am using dxv with uncompressed audio, as suggested for best performance, I have not experienced this issue you are having.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

gabonacorp

Post by gabonacorp »

I checked the clip/layer/comp/software setting several times in booth computers and booth versions of Resolume.

I can upload them for sure but I tried it with different sources and with different codecs. and the funniest thing: if I delete the audio channel in the clip settings than everything goes to normal.

I am quite sure that the problem somehow comes from the hardware side, or maybe hackintosh audio driver for my config and/or for 1.8.3 has some problem with Res 4.2. I am curious that was there any changes in the audio usage code from 4.1.11 to 4.2.

I will update to 1.8.5 soon and that will gives me some answers or at least takes out some of the possibilities.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Have you checked your default settings on your hackintosh? Audio and Video files have different defaults clip transport modes so that could be the culprit.
Screen Shot 2015-05-09 at 07.26.57.png

gabonacorp

Post by gabonacorp »

yes, I checked it as well. and as I wrote if I delete the audio channel that is fix the problem. only clips with embedded audio or audio files brings up the problem.
4.1.11 doesn't produce the problem and all res versions shares it's prefs so if I have something wrong in 4.2 it should be comes up in 4.1.11.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: Timeline doesn't work if the video has embedded audio

Post by Oaktown »

Have you tried uninstalling all versions of Resolume on your Hacintosh with an app like App Zapper and reinstalling a fresh version of 4.2?

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

Encode audio with uncompressed, test a wave file not AIF. And don't use the blackmagic decklink as your audio device. You can't output via a blackmagic device IN resolume, use the default audio driver. If you don't have one install the proper kext.

Likely your audio driver, as I didn't notice any serious audio overhauls in the patch notes. Kinda what happens when you go the hackintosh route somedays.

gabonacorp

Post by gabonacorp »

@Oaktown

no, good idea, I will try.

@drazkers

I didn't use BMG DK audio I just mentioned that I have it installed. I have the proper kext I allways use default audio.

I will have more tests but in this weekend I work in the woman's handball Final Four in Budapest so I don't have time for it.

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

gabonacorp wrote:@Oaktown

no, good idea, I will try.

@drazkers

I didn't use BMG DK audio I just mentioned that I have it installed. I have the proper kext I allways use default audio.

I will have more tests but in this weekend I work in the woman's handball Final Four in Budapest so I don't have time for it.
Take a screen shot and upload what your audio preferences look like when you have afew minutes. Which Kext have you installed for you audio driver?

cvanhoose
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by cvanhoose »

I too get this issue. Only happens on my PC machines. I have tried multiple configurations for audio with the same result. I use the same audio output device on OS X. My work around is to add the audio to the video file as a separate wav. file for the PC versions. All media is produced or rendered through AE.
Another note: Add a video with embedded audio(uncompressed) to two layers. Now delete the audio track from one layer. Column trigger both videos. The videos are now, NOT IN SYNC, even tho both are timelined. Joris?
Thanks in advance.

very pleased with 4.2 overall.