[Solution] Build your own interface (using Advanced Output)

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
subpixel
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

[Solution] Build your own interface (using Advanced Output)

Post by subpixel »

I tend to use more than a few layers in Resolume, and I'm constantly frustrated by not being able to easily see/find a particular clip playing in the interface, especially on a 768-pixel-high laptop screen, and especially when I'm not sure which layer it is.

I bought a new USB3 memory stick a couple of days ago and built up a comp with a bunch of 720p layers to test it out (a large file copy demonstrated that the read speed is indeed around 140MB/sec, write speed a less-impressive figure around the low 20-something MB/sec). Three layers, six layers, and up to 14 layers, still cranking at over 40fps. Maybe not that awesome and experiencing benefits from RAM cache and a (relatively) small set of clips, but still quite nice for a change. Seeing the performance was quite nice, I thought about rearranging my test layout using the Advanced Output feature of Arena to build my own preview screen.

I decided on an A/B system with four layers for each side. I comp each group separately and recombine them later using Layer Router clips (in their own layers). The preview shows the contents of all eight source layers, and both A and B submixes, as well as a small Master output window between them (not shown in the video below).

I set up a bunch of MIDI controls for my Korg nanoKONTROL (version 1 with nine sets of a slider, two buttons and a knob, with a few additional transport control buttons) so that it can actually be used without resorting to the usual Resolume interface. I've wanted for ages a one-shot trigger action for the autopilot feature(s), and this time got around to figuring out how to get MIDI-OX to make it happen! A single Note On message from the nanoKONTROL is mapped to four messages:
  • the Note On linked to the Random button (to enable Random mode);
  • the same Note On repeated one more time (to force selection of a random clip);
  • a different Note On to reset the autopilot back to Paused; and
  • a Note Off for the Paused action (in case there is something else listening to the MIDI notes).
Note that the Random button's Note Off is not mapped, so it functions as per usual (no effect in Resolume).

I took a few shakycam videos; this one has some narration. A bit dry - not rehearsed or even planned before filming! - but at least describes the basic features. I've also included a couple of screenshots from a later point when I had the Master output shown as well. On my system it ran with good interactive framerates (over 30fps usually) on three Full-HD screens - the laptop's built-in LCD and two external displays, one connected directly by HDMI and the other with a Mini-DisplayPort to VGA dongle). I have also tested it with my "custom interface" running on the internal LCD, covering the Resolume interface; I have the controls I want (mostly!) on the MIDI controller. The final image shows some details for the MIDI translation. The Input and output are generated by just two "note" presses, one-shot random for the first two content layers. Four lines in the Translation Map were used for each of the 8 content layers, starting with the one that is highlighted in the image. The lines above that convert Note On presses into CC messages that I use to "reset" some values that are controlled by sliders (where the desired "reset" value is 0.5).

Cheers,
subpixel.

http://subpixels.com

phpBB [video]

Four source clips for each of A and B (for A/B mixing) displayed, along with both the A and B submixes, on a preview screen (or custom interface). The top-left four clips are used for the A submix (50-Add, 50-Add, Multiply, Alpha), which is itself the larger bottom left clip. A similar deal for the B submix on the right side, and the small centre clip is a preview of the the master output.
Four source clips for each of A and B (for A/B mixing) displayed, along with both the A and B submixes, on a preview screen (or custom interface). The top-left four clips are used for the A submix (50-Add, 50-Add, Multiply, Alpha), which is itself the larger bottom left clip. A similar deal for the B submix on the right side, and the small centre clip is a preview of the the master output.
MIDI-OX MIDI translation in action! One "note" press results in four messages for a one-shot random clip selection for one layer in the composition.
MIDI-OX MIDI translation in action! One "note" press results in four messages for a one-shot random clip selection for one layer in the composition.

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: [Solution] Build your own interface (using Advanced Outp

Post by He2neg »

WoW, :ugeek:
i like the view ;)

Is it possible you share the composition or do we all have to build it up by ourselfe :mrgreen:

Just to get it right in my head :

you have 4 Layers (A) & 4 Layers (B) = 8 Layers in Total.
And your main output is just 1 Slice ( Comp)
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

dsquareddan
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by dsquareddan »

This is so tight. definitely gonna try it out!

subpixel

Post by subpixel »

There are 8 source content layers, but I use additional layers to do the compositing.

Here is a Composition file for you:
spxl A-B mixer.avc
Resolume Arena Composition file with generative source layers
(353.25 KiB) Downloaded 555 times
I named the layers, emptied out my video content and put in some 'generative' placeholders.

The MIDI mapping will probably mess you around a lot, so it may be best to strip all of it and start over.

I used CC01 to CC08 for the source layers' Opacity sliders, and CC09 for the A-B mixer. There are a ton of other mappings for effect parameters, AutoPilot controls and so on.

UPDATE - I found the Advanced Output settings location. Here is my preset for the preview output.
A-B mixer, 4+4.zip
Proper XML file (zipped) from the Documents\Resolume Arena 4\presets\screensetup folder for the custom preview interface using Advanced Output
(1.74 KiB) Downloaded 504 times

Here is the MIDI-OX translation map I am using:
Resolume - Auto Pilot Random-then-Pause (8 channels).zip
MIDI-OX translation map
(464 Bytes) Downloaded 453 times
Custom interface with generative content
Custom interface with generative content
Arena interface
Arena interface
Last edited by subpixel on Fri Jul 17, 2015 17:05, edited 1 time in total.

dsquareddan
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by dsquareddan »

does anyone know of a MIDI-OX alternative for Mac OS X?

subpixel

Post by subpixel »

I just happened to locate the place for Advanced Output settings which I didn't know about before. I updated the file and description in my previous post.