8K capture and mapping - possible?

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
karamasov
Is taking Resolume on a second date

8K capture and mapping - possible?

Post by karamasov »

Hi there,

I´m working on an installation where we´ll probably need to map an 8K PNG over a bunch of projectors. The "bunch of projectors" part I´m fine with, but I don´t know any solutions to capturing an 8K texture.
Spout/Syphon over network? Capture cards and a Datapath x4 in front of the cards?

Is it even possible in Arena?

Alternatively "forget it. mate, you´re off yer nut". Any input/ideas are welcome!

AdevProjects
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: 8K capture and mapping - possible?

Post by AdevProjects »

So do you just want to load an 8K image?

Or do you have an 8K image/composition on another computer (Resolume or other software) you need to transfer to a computer running Arena?

karamasov

Post by karamasov »

I have an 8K image on another computer.

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

...and what's the reason why it should be send from another computer and not by your Resolume system itself?

greetings
cosmowe
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

karamasov

Post by karamasov »

I´m getting a live stream of 8Ks from a GIS data server, as a stream through Unity probably.

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

Hi Karamasov,
may you explain your setup a bit more precise so we can help you and advice you a working way.

What is a GIS data server?....what is Unity?

Why can't you receive your 8K "stream" directly on your Resolume system?

What is the meaning of stream here?...do you mean that you frequently get a new single 8K PNG file?

Greetings
cosmowe
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

I think Karamasov is trying to get a feed from a Geographic Information System and to map the feed into a "bunch of projectors".

Karamasov, I'm not aware of any 8K capture cards commercially available at the moment so you'll have to be able to break it down into 4K segments or HD segments.

8K can mean different things to different people but technically 8K UHD is 7680 × 4320 which is 4 @ 4K UHD signals (or 16 @ HD signals). That means you'd need to use four Blackmagic DeckLink SDI 4K (or two Blackmagic DeckLink Quad 2) to achieve your goal.

Obviously it will be easier if your 8K image is 8K wide only (7680x1080) in which case you could break it down into one 4K signal (2 @ 3840x1080).

The math will work the same way on the output side so if you need to display a true 8K UHD signal, you'll need a GPU that can do four 4K UHD signals + your UI and I think your options will be limited in terms of GPU. The only card I can think of that could handle that load would be the AMD 7990 but there may be other options out there that I'm not aware of.

Then you'd break each 4K signal into HD signals using Datapath X4 hardware. Currently X4s are DL DVI so you'd be limited to 3840x2160 @ 30Hz but I know they are supposed to release a Displayport X4 sometimes in the near future so that would allow you to do 3840x2160 @ 60Hz

karamasov

Post by karamasov »

Frédéric - you´re completely correct about what I´m aiming to do.
Now, I have slimmed the installation down to 8x HD projectors, so we have the option on 2xDecklink UHD capture.
Then we could probably walk the path of the Datapath.

And build a nice, fat PC with a Radeon 7990 in it.

Thanx again, Frédéric, very solid feedback :)

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

You're very welcome!

Now if you end up with only 2 Datapath X4, I would actually recommend an Nvidia GPU such as a GTX980 Ti or a GTX Titan X if money is not an issue.

The reason I'd recommended the AMD 7990 card is because you can do 6 outputs but I believe the Nvidia GPUs are more stable with Resolume.

As a note, let me find out if they have a release date for the X4 DP model as that would allow you higher frame rates (60 instead of 30). I'll get back to you ASAP.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

if you can save that png, then with a network connection and a fairly simple processing sketch you could do a loop which periodically loads the last png and syphons/spouts it to resume, practically free.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu