QUNEO LED feedback

Bro, does your rig even lift?
dachhu
Is taking Resolume on a second date

QUNEO LED feedback

Post by dachhu »

Hello.
So I've just invested in a Quneo device, and controller wise it's pretty fabulous, hurting my brain with all the possible mappings. Only Problem with the device is the LED feedback is out of whack.
Some aspects work fine but due to the immense amount of control options things gets confused and different LEDs get triggered.
to say it tehnically from the KMI support

"Re: No control on LED lights
Postby TheSupport@KMI » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:52 am

Yeah, the problem is that Resolume just mirrors the same CC number you have mapped as the CC it sends out to control the LEDs. The CCs and notes the QuNeo responds to are hard-mapped to specific CCs (you can change the channel, but not the actual CC number).

No, Resolume has not updated their lacking MIDI output capabiliities, and we have not added "mirroring" for LED feedback."

Is there anything to be done from the Resolume end?

Does anyone else work with Quneo and Resolume, any Bomes/processing patches etc. that could help me?

I've just recently ditched Mac for PC, so Windows solutions are preferable if anyone has any?

thanks in advance for anyone's help on this subject.

Dachhu Visuals

P.S. This isn't the first controller I've come into contact which has problems with Resolume and LED feedback, without being rude, as Resolume is one of the fore running VJ software is this being addressed or will we all have to become Bomes experts?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: QUNEO LED feedback

Post by Joris »

You're not being rude, it's a very good question.

I'm happy to hear you think we're one of the forerunning VJ softwares, but we're still just a handful of guys in an office. We have nowhere near the manpower or time that Ableton or Native Instruments have to make custom implementations for each new controller that comes out. Also instead of having fixed control surfaces, we leave each user free to decide how best to map their controller. So we have to rely on a generic system that works for as many setups with as many controllers as possible.

Our 'lacking' midi feedback system is actually pretty well thought out. For instance when changing active layers or clips, any dials or button controls mapped to the newly selected layer or clip will update their state on the controller. This happens regardless whether you're using a Novation Launchpad, Akai APC 40, NI F1 or Livid OhmRGB. Without the need for Bomes or P5.

I agree that some things, like LED color feedback for buttons, could really be improved. We have been working on this and we have some good ideas to make that easier to set up with most of the controllers out there.

But the guys at Keith McMillen have decided to go with a protocol for LED feedback that's different from everyone else's. At least, every other controller I know of uses mirroring for LED feedback. I'm sure they have a good reason to do so, but we simply don't have time to implement a specific setup system just for their specific protocol. So yeah, with the QuNeo you can find yourself needing to resort to Bomes wizardry.

Hope that explains the situation.

dachhu

Post by dachhu »

Hey Jorris,

thanks for the great reply. I bought the Quneo with the knowledge that i might have to do some tinkering. Time to roll up my sleeves.
As i said the Quneo works wonderfully, pressure sensitive this, X/Y pad that, velocity sensitive the other. It's just the midi feed back the issue, I can set it on local LED, and if i only use the Quneo I won't know the difference.
plus thank you for the ammo to go back to the KMI forums :)
Informative and sympatico as ever.
thanks again

David

dachhu

Post by dachhu »

I've continued my crusade on their forum.

http://forum.keithmcmillen.com/viewtopi ... 000#p10000

thanks again

Dachhu

dachhu

Post by dachhu »

SUCCESS!!!

A simple elegant solution suggested by KMI support is to map the Quneo with the midi signals it requires for LED feedback (noted in the Quneo full manual) and when Resolume 'mirrors' midi signals it sends back the right notes for LED feedback. Hurrah!
And this is easy achieved within the Quneo editor, once you get your head round it, so need for bomes as yet.

I plan to create a template for Resolume and maybe a small video tutorial, on how i plan to map it.
But for now must get back to planning tomorrows gig with my exciting new controller.

thanks again

DACHHU VISUALS

manoeuvretv

Post by manoeuvretv »

That might help people get started, simple template with colour feedback in Resolume 5.0 . https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/347 ... solume.zip
Richard De Souza
MNVR
http://www.mnvr.tv

kclarkmusic

Post by kclarkmusic »

Not in regards to QUNEO specifically but could be an easier solution for you to integrate MIDI feedback without having to make MIDI remote scripts, as Ableton does.

VDMX has one of the best MIDI implementations of any software out there. No need for Python scripts, just add the functionality off setting the On and Off color states, when mapping any parameter. You could add it to the same window in the lower left corner when in Application or Composition map mode.

As much as I love VDMX, it's mac only, and unfortunately not as stable as Resolume. But I hope you can figure out some way that will allow users to utilize all of the great RGB feedback that new midi controllers have to offer, without having to spend a lot of time at the headquarters trying to write up new scripts for every controller out there.

Cheers,
Kendall

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

the functionality off setting the On and Off color states, when mapping any parameter. You could add it to the same window in the lower left corner when in Application or Composition map mode.
That's exactly what we have in mind. With the caveat that it's a velocity, not a color you would be setting.

We're also thinking about the need for an addition of a third velocity option when it's a clip, to discern between clip empty, clip loaded and clip playing.

kclarkmusic

Post by kclarkmusic »

Joris wrote:
the functionality off setting the On and Off color states, when mapping any parameter. You could add it to the same window in the lower left corner when in Application or Composition map mode.
That's exactly what we have in mind. With the caveat that it's a velocity, not a color you would be setting.

We're also thinking about the need for an addition of a third velocity option when it's a clip, to discern between clip empty, clip loaded and clip playing.

Ah yes, I misspoke. It seems that using the Velocity Channel has become the standard for talking back to the controller, and the various controller manufacturers will have different quantizing of Velocity values to color assignments.

I agree that independant Clip status options (Empty, Ready, Playing) would be crucial.

Also an Ableton-Like "red box" that would allow you to scroll, or "transpose" down the clip decks. If I'm only using a 4x4 button controller, there is so much waster GUI realestate buy not being able fill up a bunch of columns in my decks.

I'm currently using a Livid CNTRL-R, and have a bunch of decks, with only 16 clips each.

Basically, dive into the MIDI implementation and workflow of VDMX and treat it as (what should be) the new best practice standard of MIDI.

I'd be happy to share further input/insight to the VDMX workflow should you have any questions.

Cheers,
Kendall

Joris

Post by Joris »

Also an Ableton-Like "red box" that would allow you to scroll, or "transpose" down the clip decks. If I'm only using a 4x4 button controller, there is so much waster GUI realestate buy not being able fill up a bunch of columns in my decks.
This idea, as well as the problems with it, have been discussed here before: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11876&p=48664&hilit ... rid#p48664
I'd be happy to share further input/insight to the VDMX workflow should you have any questions.
VDMX is amazing, Ray and Dave make a well thought-out and well-implemented tool.