How do I use multiple Projectors or LED screens

Bro, does your rig even lift?
JimmyP
Is taking Resolume on a second date

How do I use multiple Projectors or LED screens

Post by JimmyP »

I'm new to projection mapping and LED mapping. I'm looking to purchase or create a rig that will allow me to connect to 6 projectors or to a bunch of Chauvet 6mm LED panels. I'm a lighting designer so I'm looking to use the DMX control from a GrandMA console.

so what do i need? a bunch of video cards? or is there external processors?

thanks in advance for help!
Jayme McColgan
Lighting Designer

Pushka
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: How do I use multiple Projectors or LED screens

Post by Pushka »

Any suggestions? Have the same question.
Interesting in drones? then you must be looking for the DJI Mavic 2 Pro or Zoom, depending on what you are looking for.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

6 projector is a hard number since most cards (AMD not Nvidia) can drive 6 outputs but you need one for your UI. Another option is the Nvidia NVS810 which has 8 4K outputs but I haven't had a chance to test one so I can't offer any advice on it. Here is a thread discussing the NVS810 that might be interesting for you to read.

I'm personally a big fan of the Datapath X4 hardware when I need to drive more projectors that what my GPU can handle. My typical setup would be a GTX980 with 1, 2 or 3 Datapath X4 allowing me to drive up to 12 projectors

Regarding the Chauvet 6mm panels, they will work with their VIP™ Driver, VIP™ Signal Distributor, VIP™ Media Server Pro, and VIP™ 5162 Signal Processor so you'll be able to drive many of them as one output from Resolume. Their basic VIP driver will control 1,310,720 LEDs and a typical 6mm screen will have 12800 LED (80x160) so you could daisy chain 100 panels off the same driver. To put things in perspective, it would take 80 @ 80x160 panels to make the equivalent of 1280x800 resolution.

david rogger
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by david rogger »

You can connect up to six of the following properly-configured displays to your Mac Pro (Late 2013).
1. Six Apple Thunderbolt Displays (27-inch), Apple LED Cinema Displays (27-inch), or third-party Mini DisplayPort displays.
2. Three 4K displays: two connected via Mini DisplayPort and one connected via HDMI.
3. One 4K Ultra HD TV or 4K display using HDMI and four Apple Thunderbolt Displays (27-inch), Apple LED Cinema Displays (27-inch), or third-party Mini DisplayPort displays.
4. Two HDMI (HD or 4K) devices: one connected via HDMI and one connected via Mini DisplayPort with an HDMI adapter.
5. Six DVI displays. This configuration requires an active DVI adapter.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

@ david rogger - First welcome to the Resolume forum.

Yes, you're right, you can connect 6 outputs to a lot of AMD GPUs (including the D300/500/700 are used in Mac Pros) but that still only gives you 5 outputs for projectors/displays since you must use one output for the user interface.

As far as I understand, the only GPU out there that "works" with Resolume that has more than 6 outputs natively is the Nvidia NVS 810. Take a look at this thread.

Since Arena 5 supports outputting to capture cards, the new BMD DeckLink Quad 2 would allow to output to 8 displays since any channel can be programmed as input or output.

As soon as I can get my hands on one of these cars (they are not commercially available yet) I will test and report but the one catch though is that it's broadcast gear so it does NOT support computer resolution just VESA resolution. That means you'd be limited to 1080HD ,720HD, NTSC and PAL so you couldn't output XGA or UXGA for instance.