Undo in Resolume

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
elgarf
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Undo in Resolume

Post by elgarf »

Hi!

It will be good to have ability to revert changes in clips/layers/etc. Like when I moved clip in wrong place, set some property and want it set back, cleared wrong clip.

I want to revert my mistakes like in Advanced Output.

barthvis
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: Undo in Resolume

Post by barthvis »

You are so right: release No 5 and still no undo after all these years...

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

As we explain every time this comes up ( yes, Barthvis, question no 1001 and still no search on the forum after all these years? :evil: ), undo in a live application is a bit problematic, and very different to how undo works in for instance Photoshop. You also might notice that other live performance applications almost never have undo. If they do, they switch between an arrangement and performance view, where one has undo and one hasn't.

We were able to add undo in the Advanced Output, because everything you do there is a user action. So it's easy to keep a list of the actions that were taken, and revert them.

In the main interface, there are users actions but there is also a lot automation that happens without any user action. Clips play, effects modulate their parameters, autopilot triggers new clips, etc etc. To Resolume, it makes no difference if it was you that set the clip playhead to a different time, or if it jumped there because it was set to random playback. And was that clip triggered by the autopilot or did you actually mean to click it and is that what you want to undo? Should triggers even be undoable actions at all?

Of course we understand how annoying it is to accidentally delete a clip and then have no way to go back. And we get that it seems like the simplest thing in the world to make. From a programmer point of view, the lines between undoable user action and automated program action are very blurry, especially considering all the things that Resolume can do. We almost have to decide on a case by case basis what's undoable and what isn't. Finding a way to make this work properly is a huge, huge undertaking, and we just don't have the time for it.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

I miss the undo for clip deletion too, this could have saved me some time.
Try getting used to not use delete or clear, but use cmd-x / control-x for cut, then you at least have the clip on the clipboard if you made a mistake ;)

And of course, hit cms-s / control-s for save every time you are on the right path building your composition.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

elgarf
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by elgarf »

Thanks for reply.

There's still a portion of actions, which are not automated: Creating/Moving/Clearing clips/layers/columns/effects (as I know). And reverting those actions is enough for beginning.

Clip triggering not needing undo at all.

Undo in properties is not so critical, at least I can remember previous value.

barthvis
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by barthvis »

Hello Joris,

Thanks for your really elaborate reply.

I acted too quickly and probably should have done a search (again) like you said...

I'm a programmer myself and know that seemingly simple problems can have really complicated solutions.
I now understand that keeping track of the values of every variable in Arena and being able to go back to a former state would add a huge complexity to the underlying structure of the application.

My 'undo-wish' is (was) merely focused on being able to go back into the triggered clip history per layer.
Maybe a 'redo former triggered clip - wish' would have been a better description.

In 2013 I submitted this dropdown menu request to access a clip history buffer viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10100 to describe what I meant.

I now understand that it is not possible to realise and will not refer to it again (apart from this time of course ;) ).

Thanks again and keep up the good work.

Barth
Attachments
Resolume%20Clip%20History%20.jpg
Resolume%20Clip%20History%20.jpg (85.08 KiB) Viewed 13195 times

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

No worries, Barthvis. Thanks for understanding.

Joris

Post by Joris »

I'm going to necro this thread to point out that between just these two user opinions on Undo, we already have two very different, almost opposite views. It's fun being a developer.