Resolume & native SDI output

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Meptik
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Resolume & native SDI output

Post by Meptik »

Hello everyone! We've been using Resolume Arena on Mac for quite sometime. As of recent I've been looking into the Windows of side of things as there seems to be some advantages. My questions are:
- I'm looking at a Windows machine with a AMD W8100 GPU.
- I've researched AMD's SDI-Link technology in which its able to pass video directly from the GPU to an I/O card such as a Blackmagic or Aja to do SDI output. I'm looking to do about 4 outputs of SDI ideally.
- Has anyone used this? Does it work well?
- has anyone used this same tech with nVidia cards? If so, what cards?

Thanks greatly!

dirtyjohn_lv
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: Resolume & native SDI output

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

NVidia has their own tech, but it only works for the Quadro series of cards.
https://developer.nvidia.com/gpudirectforvideo

Arena already has native Black Magic support. I believe they use OpenGL sharing instead of DMA, but still very little need to buy a card specifically for that tech, when Arena already has some native support.

Meptik

Post by Meptik »

I've played with Resolume's SDI output on the Mac and the performance is quite underwhelming, I wasn't able to get any kind of useable output across a BlackMagic Decklink Duo card that I've had to stick to display outputs.

Is the performance any better on Windows? Does Resolume take advantage of this direct-SDI architecture?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

I've played with Resolume's SDI output on the Mac and the performance is quite underwhelming, I wasn't able to get any kind of useable output across a BlackMagic Decklink Duo card that I've had to stick to display outputs.
I'm curious about your setup because I've had very good results with the 3G-SDI outputs on a MBP.

Meptik

Post by Meptik »

I'll have to get in front of the machine, but it was a 2013 Mac Pro Trash Can, mid-spec, 6 core, D500 GPU, out to a BlackMagic Duo card in a PCIe Chasis. Running latest version Arena on Mac OS 10.10.5 (I believe, 10.10.something). The performance I had wasn't useable at all. Just tested it with the standard Resolume test files.

admiralperpetual
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by admiralperpetual »

I thought resolume couldn't use the blackmagic SDI outputs? I have a blackmagic decklink extreme card I was testing with, sdi in was working fine but didn't have any output functionality..

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Resolume Arena has native BM output support since the release of Arena 5.0.0. The option is available via the Advanced Output: https://resolume.com/manual/en/r5/scree ... back_cards

Be aware we made a big boo-boo and accidentally disabled the dropdown to select a BM output in Arena 5.0.4. In 5.0.2 and earlier it works as expected.

videohead
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by videohead »

I can confirm that BlackMagic as an output is not available in Avenue 4.5.4 or Arena 5.0.4. Hope you fix this soon.

Meptik

Post by Meptik »

Has this been repaired in 5.1? I am in the process of moving to Windows for Resolume and will test playback soon with SDI output.

Also how many SDI outputs can Resolume handle? Is there any limit? Thanks!

lightbx

Post by lightbx »

Oaktown wrote:
I'm curious about your setup because I've had very good results with the 3G-SDI outputs on a MBP.
Please describe your equipment setup, and general results. What was your composition like? Did the 3G-SDI output produce any noticeably richer color/contrast to your projector?