2 computers sync using osc or midi

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: 2 computers sync using osc or midi

Post by Joris »

maybe some one of the resolume developers would know the answer to this issue.
OSC output is one of those monster features that is hard to maintain and even harder to debug. We're considering full Master/Slave sync via OSC to be currently broken, and it's unlikely we're going to fix it in the 5.x release cycle. We've squashed a few minor bugs related to it squashed during minor point updates, all in all it's too much of a behemoth to take on.

Even in its current state, the amount you can get done with OSC is staggering, as for instance Ravensc's Enter app shows. 99% of it works, it's just missing the remaining 1% to make OSC Master/Slave reliably. It feels like a shame to axe the whole feature because of that 1%.

If you have a specific set of steps to recreate a specific bug, we'd love to see it. We may not get round to it right away, but the more problems we know of, the better.

VisionLed
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by VisionLed »

Dear Joris,

Thank you for your reply,
The most interesting thing is that the same problem happands while working with midi.
Midi should be stable as it gets.
Ill rellease a video later to show you the problem.
The most horrible problem is when pressing the preview layer on the master and it presses the preview anf the cancel layer on the slave. Thus no sync. The same issue happands with midi and osc.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

The most horrible problem is when pressing the preview layer on the master and it presses the preview anf the cancel layer on the slave. Thus no sync. The same issue happands with midi and osc.
Yeah, that sounds pretty serious indeed. To be honest, a video is great, but I'm not doubting that you're seeing what you're seeing. What we really need is the smallest set of steps possible to recreate the issue, preferably starting with a blank composition and a clean midi map. If we can then recreate it on our end, it should be easy to fix.

VisionLed

Post by VisionLed »

Maybe i can send you this composition? Ive tried moving the composition between differet computers. And clearing the midi map. The same problem exists.

Joris

Post by Joris »

If it's a problem with Resolume, the problem will occur on every composition, not just yours. So ideally, we could take the following steps:

- open Resolume
- create a new composition
- clear the app level midi mapping ( preferences > midi > new)
- turn off all osc communication
- create 13 layers
- create a composition midi shortcut for selecting layer 13
- save the composition
- copy this composition to the slave computer
- open the composition in Resolume on the slave computer
- reconnect the media
- clear the app level midi mapping on the slave computer ( preferences > midi > new)
- open a midi out on the master
- open a midi in on the slave
- trigger a clip in layer 13, both on the slave and the master
- select layer 13 on the master

The expected result would now be that layer 13 gets selected on the slave as well, and nothing else happens. In my testing, this is also what happens.

Joris

Post by Joris »

The reason I'm so precise about this, is that it would be very, very unusual for Resolume to all of sudden start "ghost triggering" certain commands.

Resolume different midi mapping modes can get very complex, and what I'm assuming has happened, is that you have a duplicate mapping somewhere. By trying to recreate the problem from scratch, we can eliminate if it's indeed Resolume behaving oddly, or a problem with your particular settings. Once we know that, we can move forward.

VisionLed

Post by VisionLed »

Hi guys,
So as i promissed ive published a video with the problem.

https://youtu.be/OTvvGGx7Wd8

Any clews?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

somehow the layer clear note is sent out on clip launch
phpBB [video]

I tried an OSC monitor and /layer/clear int 1 -s are sent on clip change too.

Do you control any other parameters with your midi controllers or do you just column launch ?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

VisionLed

Post by VisionLed »

ravensc wrote:Do you control any other parameters with your midi controllers or do you just column launch ?
Yes,
I have another button mapped to clear these layers. But its a regulat button on the launchpad. So it should behave normaly.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

VisionLed wrote:
ravensc wrote:somehow the layer clear note is sent out on clip launch
I tried an OSC monitor and /layer/clear int 1 -s are sent on clip change too.
Do you control any other parameters with your midi controllers or do you just column launch ?
Yes,
I have another button mapped to clear these layers. But its a regulat button on the launchpad. So it should behave normaly.
to work around this I would remove the layer clear midi mapping and create columns with all clips set to ignore column trigger except the one layer you want to clear. For every layer. Should consume the same amount of buttons, and you only would be column triggering.

I asked if you have anything else like effect enable/disable mapped because I do theatrical shows too, and I have a tool that does the column triggering by push of the Enter key.
Before I used keyboard mapping just like you are using midi controller buttons assigned to each cue, until I ran out of keys and the setup was horribly time consuming.
Now I just create the composition with the cue names in layer 1 clip name and load up the composition in this program and just hit Enter on my next cue. (and can control 10 resolume machines btw. doing so OSC based)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11392
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu