FPS going down :(

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
satori
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

FPS going down :(

Post by satori »

Hey guys
Im new to Resolume Arena 5
I got some problems with FPS, its going down from 60 to 15.
I use Full HD footages 1920x1080
My laptop has Windows 10, i7 6 gen processor, 128 ssd + 1 tb HDD, 16 RAM and GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB
Is it not enough to vj in full hd? :roll:
Any suggestions? Thanks for help!

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: FPS going down :(

Post by Arvol »

What codec is the files you are playing? DXV3?
Are you sure the GTX is the GPU that is running Resolume (Sometimes there will GPU switching done behind the scenes)

satori

Post by satori »

Yeah the codex is DXV3. GTX is running Resolume. When i use spout like a source it is 60 fps. Btw whats the best fps for full hd vjing? Thanks!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

how many layers are you playing at once?
playing from the HDD or the SSD?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Your main drive is pretty small (128GB SSD) so are you sure there is enough room on there to run at normal speed. Keep in mind that SSD drives do slow down dramatically when they get full.
Btw whats the best fps for full hd vjing?
Technically anything above 23.98/24 fps should provide the illusion of visual continuity but 29.97/30 fps is the goal.

Personally, I render all my artwork re-render all my clients assets to at 30 fps progressive in DXV3 high-quality alpha.

satori

Post by satori »

I am playing 3 layers in same time. All videos are in SSD. There is 35 gb free disc space. Maybe it is not enough disc space?
Can u please advise me some cool and good MOV converter, so i can convert all of the videos in normal way, because i was using only online converter i think it is not a better choice for Resolume.
Btw whats means alpha in previous post?
And btw maybe i should change some NVIDIA settings to make Resolume work more effective?
Thanks for help, guys!

cvanhoose
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by cvanhoose »

I do not believe there is a web based DXV3 convertor. Double check your codec for your files of playback, it might be the issue.
Adobe Media encoder is a free convertor. DXV3 is an option once it is installed from the Resolume installer package. DXV 3.0.1 is the latest version to be used.
Alpha is a transparent channel for video or images.

https://resolume.com/manual/en/r4/dxv

Digitrevx
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Digitrevx »

Not sure if I remember correctly but has a some effect.
A SSD running your OS will have slower then advertised speed and a full SSD will have some impact.
If you are converting a clip without alpha to DVX3 just don't bother exporting with alpha. It just makes the file size larger and puts additional strain on the machine. Try changing a clip out with the problem clips you are having issues with.

A 960m gtx is ok, but not very strong in my opinion. I have a 860m in a laptop (960m is barely better) and it barely runs 3 clips at 30fps with its 256gig ssd. If I were to introduce one of those resource hog clips I mentioned to it, it will crush it down to 20fps easy. ><

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

a gtx960m should be able to handle 15-20 HD layers of DXV.
check the log file for main renderer, you can open it via preferences-feedback-view log.

if you try to play 3x hd mp4s in a mov cotainer, the cpu will be decoding them, so make sure you converted to dxv.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Digitrevx
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Digitrevx »

ravensc wrote:a gtx960m should be able to handle 15-20 HD layers of DXV.
check the log file for main renderer, you can open it via preferences-feedback-view log.

if you try to play 3x hd mp4s in a mov cotainer, the cpu will be decoding them, so make sure you converted to dxv.
I had to double check this.
I'm not sure what kinda 960m you are referring to but a the 860m maxwell (same GM107 chip as a 960m) in my laptop is a hair slower. When I mean hair I mean 2-5% difference. When I run the Resolume benchmark 5 layers of noise gets me 27fps on that 860m maxwell.

When I load clips purchased off the Resolume store and run unique clips in those 5 layers like a real world scenario I get 26fps. When I connect a screen as a output I get 24 fps.

When I decide to column trigger with transition the 5 layers fps dives down to 15fps till the transitions are finished.
When I trigger a single layer with a just a single transition with 5 layers active it dives down to 18fps till transition is complete.

So I have a really really hard time believing you can even achieve 8 layers with a 960 unless you are ok with a slide show. Specially if using a transition. If I activate 20 layers on a 860m like mine I get 8 fps without effects to further demonstrate how weak these cards are.

This was all done off a SSD with a OS installed on it just like the OP with about 30gigs free on a 250gig drive.

This is also without any effects which I'm sure you are well aware of what happens when they are added.

Like I said he will be lucky to complete a show with 3 layers @1080p and effects and all the fps degradation that real world Resolume use has and maintain 25-30 fps with that gpu. The rest of the specs of his laptop are basically the same as mine, minus his 1tb hhd and that is exactly why I don't use it for Resolume.