Resolume & native SDI output

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Resolume & native SDI output

Post by Joris »

Meptik wrote:Has this been repaired in 5.1? I am in the process of moving to Windows for Resolume and will test playback soon with SDI output.

Also how many SDI outputs can Resolume handle? Is there any limit? Thanks!
This has been fixed in 5.1.0 and above.

Resolume does not limit the amount of SDI outputs you can use. If you want to know the limits of the hardware, it's best to talk to Blackmagic.

madido
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by madido »

The real problem is the latency of sdi output. Way too high to be used for IMAG

admiralperpetual
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by admiralperpetual »

Meptik wrote:Has this been repaired in 5.1? I am in the process of moving to Windows for Resolume and will test playback soon with SDI output.

Also how many SDI outputs can Resolume handle? Is there any limit? Thanks!
Yep, works in 5.1.2 no problem. I have used 4 outputs on a blackmagic decklink duo 2 without issue.

Meptik
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Meptik »

Are there any tips for getting performance dialed in on SDI output?

I've done some testing on my new machine and the SDI performance doesn't seem to quite match the performance directly off the GPU. I'm using an nVidia GTX 1080 in the machine and a Blackmagic Duo 2 card for output.

philmcrackin

Post by philmcrackin »

madido wrote:The real problem is the latency of sdi output. Way too high to be used for IMAG
Meptik wrote:Are there any tips for getting performance dialed in on SDI output?

I've done some testing on my new machine and the SDI performance doesn't seem to quite match the performance directly off the GPU. I'm using an nVidia GTX 1080 in the machine and a Blackmagic Duo 2 card for output.
I just got a cheap ESYNiC SDI to HDMi Converter off Amazon, I didn't want to spring the cash for an AJA or Blackmagic converter because I wanted to test the SDI output of my Decklink Quad (Original version not the 2) after reading you guys saying the SDI has too much latency. My setup is a Hackintosh with Samsung 840 Pro, I7-3770k, Nvidia GTX-770, Gigabyte ga-z77-up5 th motherboard, capturing 1080p 30 hd-sdi camera into the Decklink Quad and then outputting 1080p out of the Decklink with a 1920x1080 composition size into the SDI to HDMI concerter, I only get like a couple frames difference between video in the software and the SDI output. How much latency are you guys actually getting?

Meptik

Post by Meptik »

I did a test in December in my office... using a BlackMagic Duo 2 card, we clocked the latency of SDI in to SDI out at 3 frames of delay. For me, that's completely in range and tolerable.

Meptik

Post by Meptik »

I wanted to circle back on this.

We've been running Resolume 5.1.3 and using BlackMagic drivers 10.8.5 (most up to date on both), we notice that when we enabled native SDI outputs in Resolume, we get a pretty decent FPS drop.

Resolume, with nVidia VSync on, we get a solid 59.94-60 FPS. When we start enabling BM SDI Outputs, performance decreases. Once we enable 4 outputs (using a BM Duo 2 card), we drop to around 22-25 FPS.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

We've heard of issues with performance loss when using Hackintosh machines. It sounds like you are using a regular Windows based machine though?

Meptik

Post by Meptik »

Correct. Windows machine, clean install.

Windows 10 Pro
X99, Asus
Intel 6850k
32 GB Ram
3x SSDs: 2x M.2 - Samsung Evo 960 Pro, 1x Samsung 850 Pro
GTX 1080
BlackMagic Duo 2 Card
Resolume V5.1.3, Driver 10.8.5

Joris

Post by Joris »

That's what I figured. There are currently no known issues when using SDI output on PC.

Between the freezes you mention in another thread and this, it sounds like something is choking the data transfer in your machine.