batch converting whole files of videos

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
unjulation
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

batch converting whole files of videos

Post by unjulation »

hi guys,
long time no see

I was wondering if there is a batch converter for dxv that you can just drop files filled with vids in and away it goes with the right setings

I've got over 500gigs worth of stuff and the time it's going take to convert everything if I have to drop single files into the converter is going to take forever

suggestions please and thanks in advance
unj

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: batch converting whole files of videos

Post by Arvol »

For OSX try MPEGStreamclip

Set your DXV3 to high and leave the scaling untouched (I personally strip audio)

If you have Alpha, Do those in a separate batch.

For Windows you're out of luck. AME works but you have to set each setting one at a time (If there's different sized videos)

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

I would not advise to set your DXV setting to High Quality by default. You use twice as much disk space, and DXV files are already quite hefty. Only use DXV HQ on files that show considerable banding problems after conversion to Normal Quality.

MPEG Streamclip does not encode an alpha channel, regardless of what setting you choose for the codec.

Adobe Media Encoder has a Match Source setting, which will maintain the resolution, framerate, field order and pixel aspect of the original file.

unjulation
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by unjulation »

the problem im haveing with all batch convertors - mpeg stream clip works fine for pc now -

I want to just dump all my vid folders into a converter and leave it to do its thing -

I'm being lazy and don't want to have to go through hundreds of folders to individually drop each vid into the converter - I've got about 500gig+ that needs to converting

if there's no way t do it i'll just have to spend the time dropping groups of vids into mgeg stream :(

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Worry no more, MPEGstreamclip has a batch list feature (Cmd B on Macs)!

strangehead
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by strangehead »

when i have to convert a lot of files, i am using the Batch Export Utility from lividinstruments.com

-> http://lividinstruments.com/support_downloads.php
-> http://www.lividserver.com/dl/beu/BEU_1.23XP.exe (WIN)
-> http://www.lividserver.com/dl/beu/BEU_1.23.dmg.zip (MAC)

greets
strangehead

jate

Post by jate »

As mentioned, MPEG StreamClip is a great solution.

If you already have Adobe Creative Cloud, then Adobe Media Encoder is what I use to convert clips, but also render AE and Premiere comps.

jate

Post by jate »

Joris wrote:Adobe Media Encoder has a Match Source setting, which will maintain the resolution, framerate, field order and pixel aspect of the original file.
Alright, so I just converted a 700mb 4min Uncompressed 4K into a DXV3 file... and it came out at 73GB. That's regular without alpha, does this sound right? Because, holy crap - that's huge.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

My 4K files are massive, and obviously take longer to encode. I have an entire 1TB SSD dedicated for them. I try to downscale mine to 720 or 1080 for my normal day to day shows. Haven't had the actual 4K physical pixels used on stage yet as we mainly do 6mm for outdoor festivals.
But I do have some 4k for those 3mm indoor shows that are coming up.

JimmyP

Post by JimmyP »

i use a hot folder with Adobe Media Encoder. i drop all my video files into a folder on my desktop and the program converts it and spits it back out in DXV3. its awesome.
Jayme McColgan
Lighting Designer