USB type C as output

Bro, does your rig even lift?
rawdesigns
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

USB type C as output

Post by rawdesigns »

Looking into upgrading my laptop to the Origin Evo15-s https://www.originpc.com/gaming/laptops/evo15-s/

It has 1 HDMI, 1 mini display port, and 1 usb type C. Would it be possible to have 3 outputs? Is the 1060 card be capable of that? Thanks!

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: USB type C as output

Post by Arvol »

From what I've been reading, If you have an intel GPU on board, the usb3.1 or Thunderbolt 3 will connect to that.

I'm still working all of that out with Razer, as I got a few new Razer Blades (LOVE LOVE LOVE Them!!!) and it only has an HDMI and Thunderbolt 3 output. When I plug my TB3 to dual HDMI, I can only access one HDMI. Trying to see if it's due to Intel stepping in or if it's something else.

If your DP supports 4k@60, You might be able to daisy chain monitors that way.

I'd just call them up and simply ask.

Warspite
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Warspite »

Type C is marked as Thunderbolt, so it must include Display Port Output.
GTX1060 supports 4 outputs - one will go for built-inLCD panel and 3 for external displays. But this in theory, in practice we do not know how Origin routed wires.

rawdesigns

Post by rawdesigns »

Warspite wrote:Type C is marked as Thunderbolt, so it must include Display Port Output.
thanks for quick reply. so this system technically has 2 DP out and 1 HDMI out? I'll write Origin and see if type c is uses the intel graphics. thanks!

rawdesigns

Post by rawdesigns »

dinga wrote:usb3.1 or Thunderbolt 3
is usb3.1 type c the same as thunderbolt 3?

Warspite

Post by Warspite »

No, USB 3.1 is not Thunderbolt 3. They share Type-C connector.
There are variation on what can be behind this connector: It can carry only USB, USB+Display Port, USB+Display Port+PCIe lanes (this full combination is thunderbolt 3).
Even cables are not same. Cable capable of Thunderbolt 3 can carry PCIe lanes+Display Port+USB3.1+60 to 100W Power Delivery. Simple USB Type C cable from your smartphone usually can carry only USB (sometimes even not at 3.1 speed)+15W of Power.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

My Blade Pro has a GTX 1080 and only supports a single HDMI and a single output via Thunderbolt 3.
My regular Blades with the GTX 1060's are the same.

I'm hoping for a BIOS revision or a Firmware update to allow more outputs.

As stated above Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1 are not the same, they just share the same connector.

I would just call the manufacture and ask to speak with tech support to iron out all the details.

Personally, I have yet to even need a single 4K output for my walls (Actual pixel count has only gone as far as 1920x1200), So having the option for 2 4K outputs at 60 is nice to have in case I need that in the next 5 years.
I try to do hardware updates every 5-7 years. And with what's currently on the market, It's exciting to see what the future holds.

joshuadmello

Post by joshuadmello »

dinga wrote:My Blade Pro has a GTX 1080 and only supports a single HDMI and a single output via Thunderbolt 3.
My regular Blades with the GTX 1060's are the same.

I'm hoping for a BIOS revision or a Firmware update to allow more outputs.

As stated above Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1 are not the same, they just share the same connector.

I would just call the manufacture and ask to speak with tech support to iron out all the details.

Personally, I have yet to even need a single 4K output for my walls (Actual pixel count has only gone as far as 1920x1200), So having the option for 2 4K outputs at 60 is nice to have in case I need that in the next 5 years.
I try to do hardware updates every 5-7 years. And with what's currently on the market, It's exciting to see what the future holds.
What connectors are you using with the thunderbolt 3? Do they have reliable thunderbolt 3 to DVI out yet?

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

I'm currently using a startech thunderbolt 3 to hdmi adapter. the display port adapter should work as well but i hate having to use adapters when everything i plug into is hdmi so i opted for that one. sadly..... the razers only support 1 of the 2 outputs. BOO!