Control Resolume with DMX from Chauvet ShowXpress

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
KStewart
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Control Resolume with DMX from Chauvet ShowXpress

Post by KStewart »

I am new to Resolume and from what I have learned so far it is great. I currently run all my lighting scenes on Chauvet's Showxpress and would like to integrate/control Resolume via DMX/Artnet. Does anyone have a quick setup method to accomplish this. My setup is Showxpress on one laptop and Resolume on another. I have a wireless network. Any help or suggestions would be great. I looked at both manuals, checked YouTube, and can't seem to get my head around it. All systems are Windows.

Thanks

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: Control Resolume with DMX from Chauvet ShowXpress

Post by Oaktown »

As far as I understand, Chauvet ShowXpress doesn't use Artnet so you'll have to use their DMX interface (Xpress 512 or 512-Plus) and connect the DMX cable to a DMX interface connected to your Resolume computer (either USB or Ethernet).

More information about DMX controll in the manual. As a note, you can only use one DMX universe to control Resolume Arena.

KStewart

Post by KStewart »

From what I understand, it does do Artnet. I have a Xpress 512. I have attached a photo showing artnet in Showxpress
Attachments
IMG_9706.JPG
Windows 10 ASUS Intel I7 6700HQ 2.60 GHz 16GB 64bit
Resolume Arena 5
ShowXpress

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

You're right, apparently you can use Artnet with ShowXpress but only when you have one of their interface connected and as per their website:
With V8
Each 512 channels dmx interface opens 512 dmx channels + 512 Artnet channels (or 1024 Artnet channels)
As far as I can tell there is nowhere you can set Subnet or Universe so you might want to contact Chauvet directly to find out how to do that. By default, Arena's ArtNet Input would be the IP address of your computer with Subnet = 1 and Universe = 0.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

The default values that Arena uses for input Universe and Subnet are the first available Universe and Subnet.

If you have no other Art-Net outputs running out of Resolume, this will be Universe = 0 and Subnet = 0.

KStewart

Post by KStewart »

Thanks for the replies. I have the Chauvet DMX 512 hooked up and I still can't get it figured out. I've emailed support at Chauvet. Maybe between the two I can get it figured out.
Resolume Arena 5
ShowXpress

Lightboymike

Post by Lightboymike »

Any luck getting it working?

KStewart

Post by KStewart »

Negative. Never heard back from Chauvet. Probably stumped them too.
Resolume Arena 5
ShowXpress

DHoude
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by DHoude »

I doubt they are stumped. I have worked with them first hand on few of my ideas and they are great people when you can clearly communicate. The Live Master faders were my design concept that they worked with me to implement. I will say that I have let my lights go and literally done nothing with Showesxpress.

Clearly communicating what you have and what you have tried is going to be the key to getting help on either side. Look at my signature, it is literally there so people can see what I am running without me having to type it all the time. I wouldn't even know that you were a Windows 7 user until your second post and looked at your screen capture. Then compared that window to what Win OS I remember that frame from. Honestly, that is leaving all the work to us.

Have you disabled the Windows firewall?

Did you try Joris's suggestion of Universe 0 & Subnet 0?

Maybe try describing a step by step here of what you have done in Resolume so that we can follow your work flow. Maybe post a screen shot under Arena-Prefferences-DMX to see what you have tried.

Dayyy021

Post by Dayyy021 »

Bump please. I use xpress as well. It would be a life saver to no longer program colors. I am so excited that it's possible to play video and the rgb lights will sync up.
But does it work with R G B W A & UV?
Mobile DJ Visuals - Arena 5 - Chauvet Xpress - Dell Latitude 5550 i7 8gb ram and 2gb gpu - 2x Epson 5250 3600lumen projectors - always open to suggestions