low fps with 5 outputs on mac pro

Bro, does your rig even lift?
dmnik111
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

low fps with 5 outputs on mac pro

Post by dmnik111 »

Hello, on mac pro (new) with double d300 onboard i have issue - when i add 5th display in resolute advanced output i see 21 fps with clear deck. If i kill any screen output it shows me 60fps. I thnink, trouble in vertical sync, no? what i can do to connect all 6 screens and have 60 fps at least on black output?)

Anothertom
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: low fps with 5 outputs on mac pro

Post by Anothertom »

This is unlikely to be a v-sync issue as that would reduce frame rate to one of the factors of 60 (so 30 then 15 fps), and if you're using active v-sync then that deactivates when frame rates drop below 60fps.

This is more likely just to be trying to push a very large composition (and over a large number of outputs), so make sure you've optimized any content and the layout of the composition to reduce the workload on the gpu. The d300 itself is a four year old design and isn't a very powerful card so if you're able to try this on more powerful hardware you may get better results.

As it currently stands, pushing six displays from a single card is on the edge of what is possible from a single (amd) card, and due to the way the cards are designed; the way resolume handles GPUs; and the way apple implement GPUs that's exact what you're trying to do.

dmnik111

Post by dmnik111 »

Anothertom wrote:This is unlikely to be a v-sync issue as that would reduce frame rate to one of the factors of 60 (so 30 then 15 fps), and if you're using active v-sync then that deactivates when frame rates drop below 60fps.
now I setup Yosemite instead of Sierra, and switched off v-sync with QUARTZ debug. with 4 screens I have 100-120 fps at output, but when I add anoter one screen in resolute fps fade down to 24 fps. it not depend of thunderbolt bus - 0,1,2, where I connect last display...

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Make sure you only use active adapters with the AMD cards.

dmnik111

Post by dmnik111 »

Oaktown wrote:Make sure you only use active adapters with the AMD cards.
I use four apple dual-link dvi adapter with dedicated usb and power charger for it and one solidmate minidisplayport 1.1 to dual-link dvi with dedicated usb https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=6904 - is it good enough to use?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

It doesn't seem like that adapter is in active adapter so that could be the problem.

Also if I recall there used to be issues with the firmware of the early apple dual link adapters so make sure all your adapters are from where version 1.03.