Photos: Projection Mapping and 12 channels of SDI

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: Photos: Projection Mapping and 12 channels of SDI

Post by Oaktown »

I just had the opposite experience on a show where we had the new Panasonic PT-RZ970 (10,000 lms) paired with a some Panasonic PT-DZ13K (12,000 lms) and it performed better!
Not too sure - spent a lot of time trying to tweak their color and brightness output, but they just didn't punch like we all expected them too.
I'm assuming these were brand new and rental units, correct? Did you check to make sure the [Constant Mode] setting in the [Brightness Control Setup] was not set to [Auto] or [PC]? That would have taken the brightness down to ~67%
Screenshot 2017-05-19 17.04.11.png

Meptik
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Meptik »

Thanks Oaktown. We did go through the settings quite a bit and played with everything we could. We did explore this setting but still couldn't seem to get the punch we were looking for.

That being said, I'm sure we'll give them a shot again moving forward!

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Meptik wrote:Correct, we've been using AJA HA5-4k's for a while now, we own 6 of them which is great. They let us do 4K to Quad HD-SDI, the only limitation is that the outputs are all progressive, so doing 1080/60P is sometimes difficult being 3G HD-SDI. Otherwise, been a great solution for us.
So can this take a 4k input and split it into 4 1080p outputs at 60fps?
From what I was reading is that it can do 4x 3g outputs (1080p@60)
Your "limitation" comment is throwing me off a bit.

From the looks of it, it appears this could be a much cheaper solution that the SDI Datapath FX4.

What's your thought's on comparing the two?

Thanks

Meptik
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Meptik »

@arvol the limitation is that the units can only do progressive outputs and all outputs must be the same resolution/kind. There isn’t any way to convert outputs to interlaced without having to hit some sort of converter first. We’re used Datapath X4’s and FX4’s many times, and while good, the FX4’s - in particular - are so buggy and not with the cost of the units despite the added features.

For the price, they are worth it and solid. The majority of the time, we have great luck with them, but there are a few times where it be great to have support for interlaced signals and varying format/frame rate per connector. But beggars can’t be choosers for the price!

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Meptik wrote:@arvol the limitation is that the units can only do progressive outputs and all outputs must be the same resolution/kind. There isn’t any way to convert outputs to interlaced without having to hit some sort of converter first. We’re used Datapath X4’s and FX4’s many times, and while good, the FX4’s - in particular - are so buggy and not with the cost of the units despite the added features.

For the price, they are worth it and solid. The majority of the time, we have great luck with them, but there are a few times where it be great to have support for interlaced signals and varying format/frame rate per connector. But beggars can’t be choosers for the price!
Awesome! Thank you so much for the explanation. I'll probably be picking one up in the new year :)

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

@ Arvol, here is how the 4K is broken down into 4 quadrant
Capture 2.PNG
Capture 2.PNG (79.87 KiB) Viewed 10123 times
@ Meptik, it looks like you should be able to do 1080i
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (13.75 KiB) Viewed 10123 times

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by He2neg »

Oaktown wrote: I'm assuming these were brand new and rental units, correct? Did you check to make sure the [Constant Mode] setting in the [Brightness Control Setup] was not set to [Auto] or [PC]? That would have taken the brightness down to ~67%

With the "old" 21K you only could set it up one time (per Lamp set) and cant change it later.
Is it now possible to change between the mode?
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

He2neg wrote:
Oaktown wrote: I'm assuming these were brand new and rental units, correct? Did you check to make sure the [Constant Mode] setting in the [Brightness Control Setup] was not set to [Auto] or [PC]? That would have taken the brightness down to ~67%

With the "old" 21K you only could set it up one time (per Lamp set) and cant change it later.
This was for the laser units.

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by He2neg »

Oaktown wrote:
He2neg wrote:

This was for the laser units.

I know, so the new laser models can change the operation mode multiple times?
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

karamasov
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by karamasov »

Awesome work!
My experience with the smaller Pana lasers is the same as Oaktown´s
They kick out so much deep, rich colour along with superb brightness, that I´m in love. Never tested bigger than RZ970 10K, though.

Did two quick setups for a customer the other day, for demonstration:
The 6500 ANSI laser kills the 8500 lamp beamer
The 10k ANSI laser kills the 13K lamp beamer