Intel core vs Xeon vs AMD Ryzen and graphic card configuration

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Straight-Disorder
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Intel core vs Xeon vs AMD Ryzen and graphic card configuration

Post by Straight-Disorder »

Hello, in the project to equip myself with a new PC I come to you for a few opinions and feedback regarding different configurations to optimize the machine according to my needs.

I will remain for the moment very basic, namely the choice of the Processor + Graphics Card which is already difficult to decide ..

The idea is to have 2 SSD disks with 2 separate systems, one workstation-oriented (C4D, AE, 4K assembly) and the other exclusively for video broadcasting via Resolume Arena.

For the workstation-oriented system the Intel Xeon processor solution (E3 ?, E5?) And Quadro graphics card (PNY Quadro P4000 8Go?) Seems to be pretty good but will this be the case with Resolume?
I have not found an answer to this question on the forum ..

Another question I was wondering about is the new AMD Ryzen processors (7 1800X), are there user feedback?
It seems to me that on paper it can be a good solution of versatility (3D rendering, video, Resolume?)

To synthesize,
I am already trying to decide between Intel Core I7, Intel Xeon (E5?) Or AMD Ryzen 7 and between a graphics card PNY Quadro P4000 8Go or Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Go

Thank you for your help!
And sorry for the approximate translation ..;)

Pascal
-------------------------------------------------------

Bonjour, dans le projet de m’équiper d’un nouveau PC je viens vers vous pour quelques avis et retours concernant différentes configurations possible afin d’optimiser la machine selon mes besoins.
Je vais rester pour l’instant très basique, à savoir le choix du Processeur + Carte graphique qui n’est déjà pas facile à trancher ..
L’idée est d’avoir 2 disques SSD avec 2 systèmes distincts, 1 orienté station de travail (C4D, AE, montage 4K) et l’autre exclusivement destiné à la diffusion vidéo via Resolume Arena.
Pour le système orienté station de travail la solution processeur Intel Xeon (E3 ?, E5 ?) et carte graphique de type Quadro (PNY Quadro P4000 8Go ?) semble être plutôt bon mais est-ce que ce sera le cas avec Resolume ?
Je n’ai pas trouvé de réponse à cette question sur le forum ..
Une autre question que je me posais concerne les nouveaux processeurs AMD Ryzen (7 1800X), y a-t-il des retours d’utilisateurs ? Il me semble que sur le papier il peut être une bonne solution de polyvalence (rendu 3D, vidéo, Resolume ?)
Pour synthétiser,
je cherche donc déjà à me décider entre un processeur Intel Core I7, Intel Xeon (E5 ?) ou AMD Ryzen 7 et entre une carte graphique PNY Quadro P4000 8Go ou Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Go

Merci pour votre aide!

Pascal
STRAIGHT DISORDER
[Audio-]Visual [Live] Works

contact@straight-disorder.net
http://www.straight-disorder.net

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Intel core vs Xeon vs AMD Ryzen and graphic card configuration

Post by drazkers »

Quadro in my experience doesn't really translate the greatest to Resolume. The 1080 is certainly the better option.

My personal opinion is that since Resolume is such a minimal CPU program you should save your money and get the most cores for your buck which is the Ryzen. Now if less PCIE lanes isn't an issue then a Ryzen and 1080ti will easily give you the best performance per dollar ratio in C4D, AE and Resolume.

If you want to start adding on alot of cards you may want to stick with the i7 because of the PCIE lanes you can get.

Straight-Disorder

Hi Drazkers,

thank you for these opinions that will be very useful ;)

A small question that I also ask myself,

I have to make a video installation with at least 4 video projectors, so far I have always limited myself to 3 video projectors connected to a Matrox TripleHead.
The GeForce GTX 1080 Ti card offers 2 x HDMI Female, 1 x DVI Female, 2 x DisplayPort Female, so you can combine several output, with or without the Matrox, and of course recognized in Resolume ..?

Thanks in advance,

cordially,

Pascal
STRAIGHT DISORDER

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

Straight-Disorder wrote:Hi Drazkers,

thank you for these opinions that will be very useful ;)

A small question that I also ask myself,

I have to make a video installation with at least 4 video projectors, so far I have always limited myself to 3 video projectors connected to a Matrox TripleHead.
The GeForce GTX 1080 Ti card offers 2 x HDMI Female, 1 x DVI Female, 2 x DisplayPort Female, so you can combine several output, with or without the Matrox, and of course recognized in Resolume ..?

Thanks in advance,

cordially,

Pascal
The nvidia card can use any combination of ports up to 4. So that is 3 + monitor.

You can use a triplehead with those and have a monitor + 5

Anothertom

Post by Anothertom »

A few points which may or may not be relevant:
1. Between an i7 and a Xeon of the same specs there will not be any performance difference. The differences being some extra instruction sets on the Xeon and onboard graphics and turbo boost on the i7. As far as I know there hasn't been much info about how well resolume performs on ryzen, but we can assume it would have similar characteristics to a gaming load, which there are lots of details. Xeon CPUs may be a good option depending on the pricing related to the i7 line up.

2. For CPU core count, resolume isn't a particularly heavy workload and doesn't need an 8 core Xeon and I've had it running happily on a dual core pentium. That said, I don't think anyone's actually gone and tested the same system on 1/2/4/8 threads and with or without hyperthreading. But i might do this at some point as I think it might be interesting.

3. For the performance they provide in this workload, quadro cards are more expensive and less powerful than a similarly specced gtx model. They're only really useful when rendering large scenes which take advantage of the massive on board memory. If you have a gtx1080 then you've got more power than you'd need.

4. As stated the gtx lineup supports up to 4 displays. You can use Datapath X4/FX4 or matrox dual or triple heads to extend this. You won't be able to use MST hubs to connect more than the four displays. There is a good thread on this topic pinned in the news subforum.

Nadeistos
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by Nadeistos »

Straight-Disorder wrote: Une autre question que je me posais concerne les nouveaux processeurs AMD Ryzen (7 1800X), y a-t-il des retours d’utilisateurs ? Il me semble que sur le papier il peut être une bonne solution de polyvalence (rendu 3D, vidéo, Resolume ?)
Pour synthétiser,
je cherche donc déjà à me décider entre un processeur Intel Core I7, Intel Xeon (E5 ?) ou AMD Ryzen 7 et entre une carte graphique PNY Quadro P4000 8Go ou Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Go

Merci pour votre aide!

Pascal
Bonjour Pascal,

Je possède un Ryzen 1700 avec 32Go de RAM pour la compression vidéo et retouche photo (DXO, photoshop) ainsi que le développement web.
Je peux donc t'apporter un petit retour de ce coté la, c'est un processeur assez increvable, difficile de le mettre en difficultés, en lançant toutes les applications de traitement lourd on peu continuer a faire autre chose en même temps. C'est une fusée tout va vite, même avec les 16 thread a 100% le système reste fluide, que du bonheur :)

Juste faire très attention de prendre un kit ram certifié Ryzen, le plus rapide possible en 4 barrettes pour + de perfs et niveau carte mère une asus ou asrock avec le chipset X370

Thierry

Straight-Disorder

Ok,

merci à tous pour vos réponses.

Je pense que je vais donc finalement partir sur une configuration avec une carte mère Asus - PRIME X370-PRO, un processeur AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, une carte graphique Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Go, et tout ce qui ira bien avec pour que ça tourne parfaitement..;)

Autre chose que je me demandais en dernier lieu, est-ce utile d'avoir 2 disques systèmes, un pour la station de travail et un pour les prestations lives?
J'avais une configuration comme ça sur mon portable Asus Rog car ça me permettais d'avoir un système propre et légé pour les prestations avec un minimum de programmes installés et de services lancés.
Mais est-ce que ça a vraiment du sens avec des disques SSD?

Je pense qu'après ça je n'aurai plus qu'à finaliser ma liste de composants, merci à vous.

Cordialement,

Pascal

-----------------------------------------------

OK,

Thank you all for your responses.

I think I will finally go on a configuration with an Asus motherboard - PRIME X370-PRO, an AMD Ryzen 7 1800X processor, an Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB, and everything that will go well with it so that it runs perfectly..;)

Another thing I wondered last, is it useful to have 2 disks systems, one for the workstation and one for live performances?
I had a configuration like this on a Asus Rog G73 because it allowed me to have a clean and light system for the services with a minimum of installed programs and services launched.
But does it really make sense with SSD drives?

I think after that I will only have to finalize my list of components, thank you.

Regards,

Pascal
STRAIGHT DISORDER

Anothertom

Post by Anothertom »

Having a 'clean' install with a minimum of programs installed, and as many services disabled as possible is worth it if you can, as it will reduce the risk of anything interfering with CPU activity, or worse crashing the whole system.

A popular idea is to use two separate ssd's in a system, one for the OS and one for content, but it's not a necessity.

Straight-Disorder

Ok, thank you Anothertom ;)

Regards,

Pascal
STRAIGHT DISORDER