Fixture building with partial control

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
benmansfield
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Fixture building with partial control

Post by benmansfield »

Hey

I've had a look around the forum, but cant see too much on this.

In short, I have a rig full of GLP X4 bars, which I am controlling via Arena 5. I've build the fixture, but I don't want any information being sent for parameters other than colour. Is there a way to add a 'spacer' dmx attribute, or something similar?
At the moment I have to include shutter, dimmer & tilt to make the colour control sit in the right place.

Anothertom
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: Fixture building with partial control

Post by Anothertom »

This is something I've been meaning to suggest for a while. Being able to have control of colour through resolume but have master control from a console more easily would be nice.

You can't currently have blank channels within a fixture. The easiest way to only control the RGB of a fixture is to patch RGB pixels over the correct channels. But this is time consuming and is very easy to make mistakes when working out the required channels.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Not sending a channel is not a concept that exists in DMX. You always have to send all the channels in the universe, on every update. It's how the protocol works.

The closest you can get is to send 0 on all the channels you want to have control over on the desk, and use HTP merge. This will write over all the 0s if the desk sets them to a higher value.
You can't currently have blank channels within a fixture.
The fixture creator will let you create 'dummy' channels for all parameters in a fixture, and even have them send a default value.

benmansfield

Post by benmansfield »

I think we're talking more along the lines of a spacer, so when patching fixtures in succession, you dont have to manually offset.

for example;

Fixture / Resolume output
1)master / spacer
2)shutter / spacer
3)pan / spacer
4)tilt / spacer
5)red / red
6)green / green
7)blue / blue

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

this would be nice for sure when merging through a board.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

I'm sorry, I don't understand how the spacer behaves differently from a dummy parameter that can be created in the Fixture Editor?

You can create these channels in the fixture, give them a default value, and they will become part of the fixture and be taken into account when patching.
Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 09.43.36.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 09.42.56.png

benmansfield

Post by benmansfield »

I agree, it should work like that, but for some reason every time I launch the software, I have to go into the editor and slide from zero to full and back, otherwise it outputs 100% on these channels.

If I clear my programmer on my console, then monitor incoming artnet, start Arena, I see everything but the colour parameters jump to 255. Once I do the above, it all zeros and behaves as it should.

Joris

Post by Joris »

And is the default value for this channel set to 0 in the Fixture Creator?

Joris

Post by Joris »

We just did a quick test with this:

- we created a new fixture profile.
- the fixture consists of 2 dummy parameters + 1 RGB block.
- the first channel has its default set to 255, the other set to 0 (note this is the Default value slider in the Fixture Creator, not the slider that is available when patching the fixture!)
- we set up this fixture in a Lumiverse, patched to channel 1
- we saved the setup
- we set up to output the Lumiverse via Art-Net

On both Mac and PC, after restarting Resolume, it will send the default values for the dummy parameters: 255 for the first one, 0 for the second one.

This is the expected behaviour, and how it should work. If you are experiencing it differently, could you let us know how we can create that behaviour?