VJing out doors

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
Warspite
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: VJing out doors

Post by Warspite »

All my Macbooks from 2012 to 2016 throttles extremely bad in direct sunlight. 2 fps sometimes :lol:
Cooling pads with 5W from USB are just too weak. I use 20Watt server blower with dedicated power supply to keep them running.
Big Rack Machine is better option, but it is impossible to travel with them.

Digitrevx

Post by Digitrevx »

Parts came in so put small form factor pc together and benched it indoors. But will need to wait a few days for a hot day to try out doors. I can already tell I'll have to pull back the cpu overclock on the 7350k. The cpu clock is actually 4.63ghz. The small air cooler has it's limits and a bigger one is problematic. Still beats a laptop's heat sink.

https://image.ibb.co/dqR7f5/Rig_Component.png
https://image.ibb.co/f7skYQ/Rig.png
https://image.ibb.co/jjEtL5/UDG_Rig.png

Benchmarks indoors 1080p one output monitor, one operator monitor.
https://image.ibb.co/jJQptQ/Bench_Res1.png
https://image.ibb.co/i9H8nk/Bench_Res2.png
https://image.ibb.co/iJr17k/Score3.png

Sort of interesting the card doesn't boost till the noise clip bench.

Warspite

Post by Warspite »

Nice Rig.
What do you use as a monitor? Does it fit in your bag with pc?

Digitrevx

Post by Digitrevx »

Warspite wrote:Nice Rig.
What do you use as a monitor? Does it fit in your bag with pc?
Ya, I use a 22" IPS viewsonic touch screen now that kinda lays flat like an art station monitor.
It folds flat into about 2" thick with the stand attached and slides into the other compartment in the same bag if I pull the apc40 out. I got another bag for the midi controllers as well so no problems there. The pc weighs about 15lbs and the monitor another 7 so it will travel pretty well on flights. It's not feather light so probably not ideal for changing concourses at large airports but not shabby for that kinda power.

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

At EDC we have AC units for the house systems. At one point it was 47C I believe.

Even at night Macbooks barely handled it. House machines stayed cool and ran capture/intro videos fine. AC was the best thing insomniac gave us, props to stage management.

Digitrevx

Post by Digitrevx »

drazkers wrote:At EDC we have AC units for the house systems. At one point it was 47C I believe.

Even at night Macbooks barely handled it. House machines stayed cool and ran capture/intro videos fine. AC was the best thing insomniac gave us, props to stage management.
Yeah I was wondering how EDC was handled. The heat out there was insane and I couldn't imagine trying to work in those conditions so it seems AC was a smart choice. I'm still waiting on a hot day here locally. It's only 86F 30C here this week with super high humidity. Soon as I get a popper summer day I'll bench it again.

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

Digitrevx wrote:
drazkers wrote:At EDC we have AC units for the house systems. At one point it was 47C I believe.

Yeah I was wondering how EDC was handled. The heat out there was insane and I couldn't imagine trying to work in those conditions so it seems AC was a smart choice. I'm still waiting on a hot day here locally. It's only 86F 30C here this week with super high humidity. Soon as I get a popper summer day I'll bench it again.
The ac unit just keeps the computers cool, Our bodies are all working in those conditions. My stage was a tent thank fuck, I normally have that white man programmer tan. Not friendly with the vegas sun.

Programfeed

Post by Programfeed »

This is SUPER ghetto but works in a pinch:

1. Get some sort of tray, preferably plastic, or in this example I went to artist hospitality and got the bottom of a soda can tray which was cardboard and had edges.

2. Lay a trash bag in it so it holds water. When you think you’ve reinforced everything well enough with gaff tape, better add some more gaff tape.

3. As close as possible to your set, fill the tray with ice. Hopefully you’re good friends with the cute hospitality girl at this point.

4. Lay your laptop cooling pad across the top. You need some separation so you don’t end up blowing water into your laptop!!

5. If you can, cover whatever parts of the ice tray are still exposed with another trash bag to help seal in the air

This setup lasted 90 minutes in Singapore heat/humidity and I had solid FPS the whole show.
IMG_8619.JPG

Yuckfou157

Post by Yuckfou157 »

Watch the RedBull cans at the underside of my Mac...looks ridiculous but it works like a charm and let alone this festival season it helped me out multiple times, I tell the guys at the bar why I'm borrowing cans and return them closed to get 2 cold ones and they are placed where the CPU and GPU of my mac get the hottest and when I get the frame drops from 60fps to 42fps, I get the cold cans and start cooling and the fps climbs again :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by francoe »

If you wanna go that way but gets a little less ghetto style under macbook, you can use a rigid coolling gel pad with a little peltier plate to maintaing the his cold. Remember you don't need to inject cold to the system, you need to get out the heat.