Controlling multiple servers

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
JimmyP
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Controlling multiple servers

Post by JimmyP »

I would love the ability to have a mac/pc application that can control/monitor multiple resolume machines. when running corporate gigs I often run 2-3 servers at once for redundancy or to meet the needs of the client. being able to have these machines backstage is also my goal. ideally, This application will allow me to make changes to the settings of the server as needed and trigger clips on all or some of the machines. also would be cool to be able to add content from this app and upload it to the media servers via a network. I hope that makes sense.

side note: yes I know I can kinda do this now with a lighting console ( that's what I'm currently doing).
Jayme McColgan
Lighting Designer

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Controlling multiple servers

Post by drazkers »

You should look into Ai or D3 but they're kinda costly. Arkaos now has an app in beta that does exactly what you need. They actually specifically lay out the use case you have.

My feeling about these types of things is that it sounds like a corporate media server feature that would be hard to upkeep on a piece of software that is focused at VJ's. Heck we can't even get CITP because of the video sorting system. We all love our niche features(believe me i want what your laying down) but I personally try to get the philosophy a developer is pushing and use it when the job fits that vision.

On the flip side i've used touch designer, osc, teamviewer and some fancy file management apps to sync up multiple machines on a network. When you get it going it actually runs super smooth.

JimmyP
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by JimmyP »

drazkers wrote:You should look into Ai or D3 but they're kinda costly. Arkaos now has an app in beta that does exactly what you need. They actually specifically lay out the use case you have.

My feeling about these types of things is that it sounds like a corporate media server feature that would be hard to upkeep on a piece of software that is focused at VJ's. Heck we can't even get CITP because of the video sorting system. We all love our niche features(believe me i want what your laying down) but I personally try to get the philosophy a developer is pushing and use it when the job fits that vision.

On the flip side i've used touch designer, osc, teamviewer and some fancy file management apps to sync up multiple machines on a network. When you get it going it actually runs super smooth.

Yeah I've used hippos and d3 servers before that's where I'm getting the idea from. I just love using resolume. I use it for concerts, corporate, and music festivals. It works everywhere! Just not the best option when I need to run multiple machines and I want to help change that!
Jayme McColgan
Lighting Designer

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

with this one viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11392
you can launch the same column on up to 10 servers at once with just one push of a button, with extras.
It can't load the content, but you can have the same compositions running for backup, or with careful planing and 'ignore column triggers' different compositions too.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

When I want to control multiple servers with different compositions, I typically use Vezer on a Macbook as an OSC controller and program the show either on a timeline or a cue by cue.

Meptik
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Meptik »

I think it would be awesome if there was a way that Arena could manage "nodes" of itself to allow for larger scaling of projects. Could also be interesting to run a master system and rhen slave systems that are just outputs, to help cut back on processing overhead (much like Pandora's Box does).

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Meptik wrote:Could also be interesting to run a master system and rhen slave systems that are just outputs, to help cut back on processing overhead (much like Pandora's Box does).
That's also the way Watchout works. The master is called the production computer and the slaves are called the display computers. The production computer cannot be used for displays so the smallest footprint for watchout would be a 2 computer setup which makes it hard to implement on the fly.

This would be definitely be great to allow for maximum scalability but the main question would be about how you manage the media between master/slaves in live mode.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Meptik wrote:I think it would be awesome if there was a way that Arena could manage "nodes" of itself to allow for larger scaling of projects. Could also be interesting to run a master system and rhen slave systems that are just outputs, to help cut back on processing overhead (much like Pandora's Box does).
What playback/program features do you think you'd need to run in sync on the machines?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu