R6 - Hue Rotate

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Kadete
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

R6 - Hue Rotate

Post by Kadete »

I use Hue Rotate instead Colorize, because i like to maintain the white lines or do two-colors matching lights.
Would you consider putting a Pallete or like the Hues in Color Pass?

Thanks again for this Amazing stuff
Attachments
Hue rotat.PNG
Hue rotat.PNG (6.61 KiB) Viewed 8209 times
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (5.94 KiB) Viewed 8209 times

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: R6 - Hue Rotate

Post by drazkers »

That's not how hue rotate works, it only shifts a colour over in the spectrum. It doesn't know exactly what the colours are just to shift them over. So the colour is different depending on your clip. For something like that it would need to analyze the dominate colours I expect.

Kadete

Post by Kadete »

drazkers wrote:That's not how hue rotate works, it only shifts a colour over in the spectrum. It doesn't know exactly what the colours are just to shift them over. So the colour is different depending on your clip. For something like that it would need to analyze the dominate colours I expect.
Yes i know it's not straight forward, but if you set the Hue Scale 0, the result color (white + single color) will be the selected color in (spectrum) Hue Rotate slider.

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

Thats a great way to handle it with ui for sure!

How would it handle multi colour pieces of content? Would the effect add more bars, would it average the colours? Would red blue white be an easy thing for it to average? How much of a performance hit would we as VJs allow? Delay RGB level or something more intense? Would it scan every pixel? every other? a grid of the layer?

I'm kinda throwing this out there because
a. It shows how difficult even simple effects can be.
b. I want one of the programmers to explain abit more, because i'm just legit curious.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Hue Rotate does have a Hue Scale slider, which will reduce the saturated colors in the clip to the visible spectrum. At 0 everything is reduced to red, at 0.25 it's reduced to red, orange and yellow, at 0.5 everything is reduced to red, orange, yellow, and green, at 1 nothing is reduced.

So, theoretically, with Hue Scale at 0, you could argue that the Hue Rotate param could be colored. With Hue Scale at 1 however, the color of the Hue Rotate param wouldn't make any sense at all. Should we then gradually fade out the 'coloredness' of the Hue Rotate param, the more you bring up Hue Scale? Sounds pretty hacky, a lot of work, ugly, and doesn't really add functionality.

An effect that can take a set dominant colors in a clip, and change them to a different set is my wet dream. When you take into account all Brady says, add on top that averaging color of a frame will result in grey, counting pixels will say its black, although our eyes will perceive it to be the most saturated color, and that a clip's colors can be completely different from frame to frame, I don't see this working without painstakingly adding metadata to each and everyone of your clips.

Kadete

Post by Kadete »

Joris wrote:An effect that can take a set dominant colors in a clip, and change them to a different set is my wet dream.
Yes, problably a wet dream for all of us. :P

Maybe then a new FFGL "Hue Rotate Scaleless" with a pallete? :D
(i know you have bigger fish to fry, just to point a minor need)

Programfeed

Post by Programfeed »

Joris wrote:An effect that can take a set dominant colors in a clip, and change them to a different set is my wet dream.
Anyone interested in this should check out vade's Synopsis project. Currently Mac only but very impressive.
https://github.com/Synopsis/Synopsis-Analyzer

Kadete

Post by Kadete »

George Last built the multi color FFGL. Too bad isn't free :( (yes, the man need to feed the dog, pay bills, ...)
Attachments
21949855_10154718144237407_5777654401616132672_o.jpg