Artnet: Resolume-QLC-vvvv The Bermuda Triangle?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
mfo
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Artnet: Resolume-QLC-vvvv The Bermuda Triangle?

Post by mfo »

Hi

I'm trying to loop-back a Lumiverse (DMX via Artnet via Localhost) to either QLC+ or VVVV. This turns out sursprisingly unstable/unreliable, from both R5 as wells as R6 - but before I make it sound like a Resolume problem: there is the devil somewhere in between those three programs. I get issues in R->VVVV as well as R->QLC but also in VVVV->QLC or QLC->VVVV.
The problem usually is: the receiver doesn't receive.

Using the ArtnetTerminator I can see that all is looking good, as expected, yet the receiver doesn't receive. Its like cursed.
And in the those rare moments when the connection works, it is hard to tell what made it work.
I tried Broadcast as well as manual IPs (127.0.0.1 or something in 10.x.x.x). And I'm on windows10 by the way.

Any tips, any help?

sleepytom
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Artnet: Resolume-QLC-vvvv The Bermuda Triangle?

Post by sleepytom »

put everything onto valid Artnet IPs which must be 2.x.x.x

mfo

Post by mfo »

That works even less, it's not seen by ArtNetominator, neither by QLC as input.

I know you use 2..er range traditionally in Networks for ArtNet. But inside the computer for looping back?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Can you describe your artnet setup in detail (IP, subnet mask and gateway if you use one; artnet universe & subnet for the various I/O, etc...) for all three apps?

mfo

Post by mfo »

ips as written, localhost (127.0.0.1) or various in the 10.x.x.x range, also just tried 2.10.10.20.
subnet mask not sure if that applies. none of the mentioned programs shows it or allows modifying it.
universe is 1 (universeID 0), net and subnet are 0.
port is the usual 6454.

This really puzzles me. Everything (ips, nets, universe, actual dmx data) looks fine in ArtNetominator.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

I'm not sure if different applications can listen to the same port on the same interface reliably.
With TCP ports I'm quite sure they can't, but this is UDP, and I remember someone having similar issues viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14035&p=59710&hili ... net#p59710
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

An Arena 6, are you sure you didn't set your DMX input to the same universe as your lumiverse?

Can you send a screenshot of your Artnetominator window?

When you open QLC+ and set your input to 127.0.0.1, does it show up as targetIP in your Arena 6 lumiverse? And do you see Arena when you check the Nodes Tree in QLC+? See pics below.
Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 07.49.28.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 07.49.09.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 07.49.09.png (40.16 KiB) Viewed 11787 times
Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 07.49.18.png

mfo

Post by mfo »

Thanks for all the tips and advice guys!

I semi-figured it out, here are my findings (my head is spinning, so please forgive potential mistakes..), important stuff marked bold:

First of all, things became far more controllable once Wifi was switched off. Resolume running ArtNet out on another computer in the building caused quite some of the chaos.

Resolume: is essentially working fine. Artnetominator shows it.
Broadcasting is to be used with a lot of care, it will spam every Network connection you have. If you plan to use any other Artnet connection in addition to looping-back you can't use it. At least: I can't use Broadcast.
Oh, and I was using R5.1.4 so far.

QLC: The ArtNet Node Resolume created for all sorts of IPs are shown, yet connecting doesn't work, it won't use the input. Artnetominator shows all as fine, i.e. for 127.0.0.1, and QLC sees the node - but won't listen. It only listens when using 127.255.255.255 in Resolume! It needs the wildcards in order to loop-back inside my machine.
Another trick in QLC+ is to use "Passthrough", only that way the ArtNet data will show on the faders of its SimpleDesk. Otherwise one has to map every ArtNet Channel (sent from Resolume) to a fader/knob/whatnot in QLC+ to make use of it.

VVVV: Seems the bad guy here. Maybe it uses the rule of exclusive usage of ArtNet ports, that is mentioned in the thread Zoltan linked. In any case when started first it effectively blocks an IP/node for other softs to write to. When Resolume is started first, vvvv won't listen to the port, no matter what.

mfo

Post by mfo »

However, all of the above applies for R5.1.4 only.

In R6 I can't get it to work. Everything looks as you wrote, Oaktown: in Resolume there is IP "127.0.0.1 (QLC+)" and in QLC+ I see Resolume's node, but QLC+ doesn't receive anything.

Oaktown, was it working for you? With Resolume sending and in QLC+ ArtNet-Input enabled and Passthrough actived, did you see faders moving?

EDIT: Well, it works if I select "Broadcast" in Resolume AND if I am in an actual network (i.e. WiFi) - but then the problem is again: I'll spam all IPs/receivers in the Network.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

I don't think you can send to localhost with resolume 6.
In R6 you explicitly have to select the adapter, and I don't think that you can get back to localhost without active packet routing from a private IP.
mfo wrote:Well, it works if I select "Broadcast" in Resolume AND if I am in an actual network (i.e. WiFi)
If Broadcast is working, then unicasting to the Wifi adapter's Ip address should also work, doesn't it?
One solution you could use Broadcast is to connect to a wifi router, with a local subnet different than your main network. You could have the router's WAN port connected to your main network to connect to the internet if you need.
Another solution could be to use a different manual IP address range on your Wifi adapter, than your network runs on, so the broadcast packets don't reach other machines on the network.
But then you are still stuck with the shared/exclusive port issue.
If you really need to run all these programs at once on the same machine, I'd consider running each of them in a virtual machine, Resolume could use the native OS of course.
With a virtual machine setup you could set up a virtual network, bridged to your wifi adapter and real IP addresses, so you don't have to Broadcast.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu