ProRes support in Avenue R6b3 -Windows

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
KristofNys
Is taking Resolume on a second date

ProRes support in Avenue R6b3 -Windows

Post by KristofNys »

Are Prores files still supported in Avenue 6 beta 3 ? if i drag them in the deck , it shows up as audio only. The same files play fine in Avenue 4.6.4 on the same machine (windows10 os)

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: ProRes support in Avenue R6b3 -Windows

Post by Joris »

Yeah, that should work. If you have any problems with any file that you think ought to work, just send it to us and we'll take a look.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

I created a ticket #9821.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

KristofNys

Post by KristofNys »

OK, i'm wetransfering as we speak . One file has an LTC track embedded, so mute your speakers when testing !!

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by francoe »

Same behaviour here. ProRes 422, proxy.. just don't load anymore. I was using the old miraizon codecs to decompress, don't know if R have his own way.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Looks like I jumped the gun on this.

Since we don't use Quicktime/QTKit for decoding anymore (because ohmagaa, Quicktime is sooo unsafe now :roll: ), we cannot play ProRes files on PC without a license from Apple. We requested this license several times, but we haven't heard back from them.

You can play ProRes on Windows through FFMPEG. In our testing, it wasn't very fast. Also, codec support in FFMPEG has big restrictions based on the licensing model of the host application, so it's unclear whether we're actually allowed to use it to decode ProRes at all.

So yeah, outlook not so good I'm afraid.

KristofNys

Post by KristofNys »

auch... losing Prores playback would make using Resolume as a playback/playout solution on windows (instead of Pro video player, q-lab, Playback pro etc.. All Mac based) very hard , as most content is delivered as Prores , especially last minute ,and/or big files , which would need to be re-encoded ,and checked for Audio/video sync after re-encoding ...

Keeping the "unsafe" quicktime support as an optional solution ( so that people who need Prores can install Quicktime at their own risk) won't be possible i guess ?

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

KristofNys wrote:auch... losing Prores playback would make using Resolume as a playback/playout solution on windows (instead of Pro video player, q-lab, Playback pro etc.. All Mac based) very hard , as most content is delivered as Prores , especially last minute ,and/or big files , which would need to be re-encoded ,and checked for Audio/video sync after re-encoding ...

Keeping the "unsafe" quicktime support as an optional solution ( so that people who need Prores can install Quicktime at their own risk) won't be possible i guess ?
They would have to do away with the brand new video engine then. That or make a option which is ALOT of work. It's a great idea but I bet that's super low on the to do.

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by francoe »

Don't believe most content is delivered as Prores, maybe in an utopic world (and clearly not the best one).
I used to have prores proxy files for some playback tasks on windows and osx, that works like charm in resolume, but that's far from any kind of usual procedure. When I was asking myself why not use prores taking advantage of hardware decoding on mac, gets hard to find people using it as main codec.
We need to get clear about this, prores NEVER was a good option to work over windows. At least not an option for a professional enviroment. All solutions comes as messy roundtips and become sketchy in a couple of hours. Even solutions available can't provide a quality consistence (name it ffmpeg, miraizon, cineform, etc). Just scratch and nuke people have apple compatible prores files, but that's because those apps have bundled apple encoders.
You will see people editing prores on his nle, tend to avoid it and stick to dnxhd or other common intermediate codec to render out.
Having prores capabilities inside resolume is great, but not a must.

Joris

Post by Joris »

Regardless of personal experience with Prores, Apple really doesn't like the reverse engineering going on in FFMPEG:
Unauthorized codec implementations
In some instances, unauthorized codec implementations have been used in third-party software and hardware products. Using any unauthorized implementation (such as the FFmpeg and derivative implementations) might lead to decoding errors, performance degradation, incompatibility, and instability. If you're using or considering the purchase of a product that encodes or decodes ProRes but isn't on the list below, please contact us at ProRes@apple.com.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200321