OSC Persisting Delays

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
pfelberg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

OSC Persisting Delays

Post by pfelberg »

Hello,

I´ve been trying OSC for a while, with the usage of Touch OSC.
I know perhaps this isn´t the proper forum, but maybe some of your experience and expertise might help me out here.

I own an Android Samsung Galaxy S Tablet.
I already designed many OSC custom layouts for Resolume and I have no problems on making Resolume to work with OSC, but an inconvenient delay.
Every new GIG the system seems to starts working perfetcly with virtually no delay. Very satisfactory. Then, in a couple of minutes the delay begins. For instance, if I push many OSC buttons in my layout interface, like playing a piano, fast and repeateadly, I may stop pushing them and just watch Resolume to perform the incoming commands for seconds and seconds to come.

I did try a dedicated Wi-Fi network;
I did try a dedicated Ethernet network (all cabling);
I did try a direct Ethernet IP connection between the Tablet and the Notebook (awesome), meaning NO ROUTER.

The results are allways the same!!! Is this a Resolume issue? An Android issue? Touch OSC issue?
Should I give up OSC and buy a Midi Controller?

Oh, I haven´t tried it with R.6 yet, since it has changed most OSC coding usage and I will need to get back to the editor and change/fix everything from scratch.

Thanks ALL

Paulo

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: OSC Persisting Delays

Post by Zoltán »

If you have many columns and layers then you can experience some delays on Resolume 5.
In Resolume 6 we have an OSC monitor built into Preferences/OSC, it will be useful for checking issues like this. (It's the small button on top right corner in preferences)
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

pfelberg

Post by pfelberg »

Hi Zoltán,
Actually I was piano strobing white, black, and colorfull screens by togling / fading up<>fading donw composition effects using three different keys.

Gonna try that in R6.01 right away and let you know.

Thank you!

Paulo

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

pfelberg wrote:Hi Zoltán,
Actually I was piano strobing white, black, and colorfull screens by togling / fading up<>fading donw composition effects using three different keys.
Gonna try that in R6.01 right away and let you know.
Thank you!
Paulo
Keep in mind, that the TouchOSC template you used for R5 won't work with R6 as the OSC addresses have changed.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

pfelberg

Post by pfelberg »

Okay Zoltán,
I just did setup a simple layout with three buttons to bring three different color composition effects to fade up/down in piano mode the same way as before. For now I am using a dedicaded Wi-Fi network.

OSC Monitor is on but I don´t know exactly what to look for or how to interpretate it. It scrolls so fast and of course I can notice that each time I play a button, a new message line pops in for each action (fade in and/or fade out).

Ten to fifthteen minutes testing and so far I couldn´t experience the exact same problems with this simple layout.
I keep crazy piano playing buttons and Resolume seem not to be "buffering" received commands anylonger.
Effects are being applyed with virtually no delay most of the time, even working with Wi-Fi.

Current Issues:
Sometimes some play sequences get a bit of delay before starting, but then they flow flawless;
After a long sequence, sometimes a couple of more "hits" are just being ignored by Resolume. After some delay, more than 01 to 02 secs, a couple of lines show up on the monitor but no or not all effects are displayed;
Minor delay freezing freezing for an effect once in a while.

Conclusions:
It seems to present a much better result on R6. I will keep my money for a while.
I believe it worth some new field tests, so I guess I need to get back to develop a complete layout to run on 6.0+ and test it in a NON-Wi-Fi network.

Thank you!

Paulo

pfelberg

Post by pfelberg »

I have an update for you guys.
I had given up OSC for a while, since the tablet has only one Micro USB connection. My best results were achieved using a peer to peer network cable connection, but I couldn't keep it running for 4 or 5 hours straight without recharging the tablet, meaning good bye to my controller during the gig. No way!

Not anymore!!!!
I just realized that I can use the tablet OTG function to make it work. Another Black Friday gone and I haven't bought a physical controller!
I already found and ordered a cheap Micro USB OTG Hub connector. This hub should allow me to keep the tablet charging while still able to connect to more 3 USB compatible devices simultaneously.

As soon as I get my hands on it I will post final results.

Cheers!!

pfelberg

Re: OSC Wireless Delays - SOLVED!!

Post by pfelberg »

I hope this is the final update to this thread!!!! Hey!!!!

The OTG Micro USB HUB didn't work as expected, since it actually can't charge the tablet at the same time it is using the Ethernet adapter to conect the Tablet and Notebook.

Yet, the final solution was presented to me today. I could have figured this out sooner. I got:
- Wired connection as desired, peer to peer, meaning no further OSC wireless delays;
- Ip connection between Tablet and Notebook without Ethernet adapter and cabling;
- Simultaneous Tablet charging as it controls Resolume!!!

Solution:
Installed an app USB Tethering in my Tablet;
Conected Tablet and Notebook using a simple USB cable;
Setup fixed IP for notebook. Wi-fi Network Disabled (no internet).
Configured TouchOSC network parameters to the new IPs.
DONE!!!
Fast connection, fast control and still charging the Tablet.