Audio External FFT issue with R6

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Foxid
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Audio External FFT issue with R6

Post by Foxid »

Hello,
I've recently purchase the new resolume arena 6 and I'm trying to get my previous configuration (of R5) working.
I've got an issue with the external audio. I configurate my mic input as "Audio Input Device" and set the "left" channel in the External Audio set up. (Btw why I can't select "Left&Right" like in R5 ?)

And the problem is, even with my fft gain at +24dB, my signal as a shitty dynamic range.
The bass are quit good but I've got no middle or high signal (It barely crank up to ~5%)
I tried my configuration with the same song in R5 and it's good, it also work well in Adobe Audition. I've got a nice waveform, with middle and high, the bass is not loud all the time like in R6.

Do you know what's wrong with the R6 ? Or if it's me and my configuration ?

Thanks.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Audio External FFT issue with R6

Post by Zoltán »

Could you tell us more about your configuration, system specs, which Resolume 6 version are you using etc?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Can you confirm that you've got full dynamic range in your external FFT animation settings?
Screenshot 2017-12-04 07.16.28.png
and not just the low end
Screenshot 2017-12-04 07.17.42.png
To access the menu, click on down arrow next to + sign.

Foxid

Post by Foxid »

This is not about what range I'm choosing for my effect to react. Before selecting the part of the spectre that I want to make my effect to react, I'm trying to get a audio input with all the spectre available in my original song. The easier way to explain is to show you.

This is what I've got with a song in R6 (built in mic set as input device, channel Left) Gain at max level
R6.PNG
R6.PNG (2.07 KiB) Viewed 10901 times

And the same part of the song in R5 (built in mic set as input device, channel Left&Right) Gain at max level
R5.PNG
R5.PNG (2.59 KiB) Viewed 10901 times

Maybe it's only a matter of gain ?
I use resolume arena 6.0.1, on windows 10.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

The gain is not turned up in your R6 screenshot.
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

Foxid

Post by Foxid »

Oh snap ! due to its grey tint and since I'm using the main "FFT Gain" knob I tought it was locked. I haven't tried to turn it... Sorry for my mistake.
Plus I've test with a external mic and it's reduce the amount of base (probably the fan in my laptop with the built in mic).

I still have much more bass than middle and high but with the main fft gain plus the gain per effect I can make it works like I want. Thanks :)

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Just increase your range.

Foxid

Post by Foxid »

If I increase the range it will result as an effect who will react to all the spectre, and not just a part of it.
In my example my range was on the bass but I also want effects that react to the high or the medium.

My issue was to get enough informations in the input signal, to be able to select the range that fit the effect.
Anyway, I've make it works by combining the main fft gain and the gain on each effect.

A better solution will be to get an equalizer before the audio signal get into resolume.

Han
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Han »

Up today I have the exact same problem and I dont know how to solve it.
To bring an graphic EQ before my interface isnt the right way for me.

In R5 the signal was defnitely much better.
In R6 its like an High Cut Filter at about 630Hz.

I only become a good mid/high signal when i really really amplify a lot.

Is there any solution?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Looks like in R5 the response curve of the FFT spectrum was weighted towards the highs.
In R6 it's flat, which is the accurate representation of the spectrum. You can check that by sending a white noise signal to your FFT input.