DXV codec(s)

FFGL, OSC, GLSL. If you like abbreviations, this is the forum for you
subpixel
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

DXV codec(s)

Post by subpixel »

Is there a particular reason why Resolume has not released DXV encoder source or a library for people to use outside of Media Encoder?

Aside from the fact that MPEGStreamclip doesn't work properly how is it able to DXV encode? Did the developer license the Codec, reverse engineer, or what?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: DXV codec(s)

Post by Joris »

DXV encoding and software based decoding has been possible in all QTKit enabled applications since 2008.

Old Quicktime was awesome. You could just make a QT plugin for your codec and all apps that used Quickime, could automatically write and read your codec. It's a shame that since Apple killed it, there's no alternative that has that same portability.

subpixel

Post by subpixel »

"all QTKit enabled applications since 2008"

What applications would they be?

For Windows systems, the only software people said they were using were Adobe Media Encoder, MPEGStreamclip, and maybe Quicktime Pro.

Is Resolume keeping the codec closed source? MPEGStreamclip gave me nothing but grief, and Adobe Media Encoder was the one thing that made me cave in and get an Adobe licence; which is currently Over $70 per month (the price went up about 50% since subscribing).

Kadete

Post by Kadete »

subpixel wrote:Adobe Media Encoder was the one thing that made me cave in and get an Adobe licence; which is currently Over $70 per month (the price went up about 50% since subscribing).
Adobe Media Encoder is currently free!

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Adobe Media Encoder is currently free!
Your statement took me by surprise so I had to check with Adobe.
Screenshot 2017-12-22 07.06.46.png
AME is not available as a standalone software from Adobe but you're right it is "free" when you buy a Single App for or All Apps respectively $19,99/mth or $ 49.99/mth when you buy a yearly plan. So, if you purchase After Effects or Premiere Pro, you're right, it is "free"!

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html
....an Adobe licence; which is currently Over $70 per month (the price went up about 50% since subscribing).
It's currently $74.99/mth for the monthly plan but $49.99/mth if you get a yearly plan so it might be worth considering getting a yearly plan.

sleepytom

Post by sleepytom »

Ignoring the fact that there are loads of other batch conversion options which use QuickTime and should make dxv files. (Livid batch for example)

Let’s just talk about what Resolume can and cannot sensibly do. “Open Sourcing” DXV wouldn’t provide an immediate solution. An open DXV codec may eventually get added to a project such as FFMpeg but that is speculation, and in all honesty wouldn’t help the average user anyway as they would be stuck behind the confusing mess of FFMpeg GUI apps few of which work properly and many of which are either commercial apps with a cost or (and/or) install horrible spyware on your machine. An open source DXV would expose Resolume to further piracy and theft of their technology (hi there Arkaos!!)

So what to do then? Really the solution is to do what other media servers have done and release a media manager app which can play and encode DXV and create compositions and decks “offline” without needing a full Resolume licence. It seems this is the route that Resolume is going down with Ally.

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by francoe »

subpixel wrote:"all QTKit enabled applications since 2008"

What applications would they be?
Adobe, Grass Valley, Rozhet & Harmonic, Sorenson, Telestream... don't remember every app I've used over win to export dxv. Just remember before deprecation, almost every major video app taked advantage of qtkit.

subpixel

Post by subpixel »

I had forgotten about the Livid option. I remember trying to use it and having problems (possibly incompatible with source codec, not sussing out batch processing, or similar), but might have another look at it.

"Adobe, Grass Valley, Rozhet & Harmonic, Sorenson, Telestream... don't remember every app I've used over win to export dxv." I don't think I've heard any of those (except Adobe) mentioned before. Do any of them have batch processing?

Re "theft of technology" - that would be a valid reason. Is it the reason?

If the codec were open sourced, perhaps someone could have a poke at it and make a GPU enabled encoder or similar.

Re Adobe CC pricing, I was referring to Australian dollar pricing in the Australian market. The generic emails (almost identical from one year to the next) cites excuses such as exchange rates, but the price hikes were well in excess of exchange rate variations. The original price was cents under AUD 50 per month on the yearly plan.

As an Adobe Creative Cloud subscriber, your price won’t be impacted during your current subscription term. However, at the time of your renewal, which is scheduled for 15 September 2016, it will increase to reflect the price adjustment for currency exchange rates. The new rate will be A$57.99 per month.
Starting December 1, 2016, Adobe will begin to charge 10% GST on all goods and services to our customers in Australia. Learn more. Your next bill, on or after this date, will reflect the new tax rate. Note that this change does not affect the base price of your Adobe products.
The current price of Adobe Creative Cloud will change to A$72.59 per month incl. GST on 5 June 2017. During your current subscription term, the price for your subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud will remain the same. At renewal, your price will reflect the local currency price on your renewal date of 15 September 2017.

bilderbau
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by bilderbau »

subpixel wrote:Is there a particular reason why Resolume has not released DXV encoder source or a library for people to use outside of Media Encoder?

Aside from the fact that MPEGStreamclip doesn't work properly how is it able to DXV encode? Did the developer license the Codec, reverse engineer, or what?
hi there,
mpegstreamclip generates dxd-3-files, they can't be opened in QT or VLC, but work in avenue 6....
is the output in dxd-3-format correct?
is there another codec-option as dxv3? it takes nights to recode and several harddisk to save!
the original mp4-container from youtube (probably h264) are not working backwards...

thanxs for answers

torsten
live gigs for live concerts, small clubs, private parties,
r1, r2, r3, r4, r6
pc win10, macmini
midi evolution uc-33e
input video - flash - vvvv - heavy-m - kinect - livesound

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

bilderbau wrote:
subpixel wrote:Is there a particular reason why Resolume has not released DXV encoder source or a library for people to use outside of Media Encoder?

hi there,
mpegstreamclip generates dxd-3-files, they can't be opened in QT or VLC, but work in avenue 6....
is the output in dxd-3-format correct?
is there another codec-option as dxv3? it takes nights to recode and several harddisk to save!
the original mp4-container from youtube (probably h264) are not working backwards...

thanxs for answers

torsten
If you care about performance, I would stick with DXV. My files take no longer than a typical ProRes encode for me. USB3 SSD's are getting cheaper.

I guess my next questions (which I think I know the answer to) is: Is there a non DXV codec that plays better than others? Out of all the non DXV codecs, is there a codec and wrapper that gives better performance on playback than the rest?